Never had this problem before,, but on the way back from Spa when braking at around 70 mph the steering wheel really started shaking.

When braking at around 30 mph everything is fine.

Any ideas before I start stripping things down and replacing bits by trial and error.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nigel

Could it be warped brake discs Nigel ? You could check that with a dial gauge without needing to strip anything.

Rob

Warped disc, worn steering rack, worn track rod end.

Tom

Clapped out front shock absorber(s) can give rise to this sort of behaviour if one is braking hard, but not very likely on your car.

Ian Cornish

Warped discs usually transmit a throbbing through the brake pedal.

I would be inspecting the suspension/steering for something loose/worn badly. Trunnions?

Cheers

Graeme

Gents I have a similar problem I have been troubling over for some time. Originally I thought it was a warped disc so had them skimmed. No difference. Discs and rotors are newish - 8,000km.

It is only from the passenger front

I have taken wheel off and checked everything is tight, nipped up wheel bearing (which is also newish) and no discern able improvement.

Groaning type noise between 50-30km on braking, more noticeable when braking lightly.

I was wondering if it is the inner wheel bearing ? Or some wear in trunnions?

Any thoughts

Graze

Thanks Mike

Out of the blue this morning our local garage who do all our MOTs phoned to remind that the MOT was due on the TR and they could do it any time this morning.

Took it round and guess what, pass with no advisories of course!

He spent quite some time thoroughly checking front suspension and steering but said everything is fine

Brakes were perfect even the handbrake.

The only thing I can think of is that one of the stick on balance weights on the wheels may have come adrift, so will have them balanced again, probably not until next week

Cheers

Nigel