TR6 in France

I'm casually looking for a TR6 (by that I mean i can't really justify one to the wife but if I find a real bargain who knows?) and have seen this advertised in France.

http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/787761701.htm?ca=2_s

I live about 3 hours away so reasonably local but a couple of questions, does the air con look factory and it looks like it's got power steering can this be a factory fit or an after market add on?

The price works out at £11400 at the current exchange rate so possibly a tad expensive.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Max

Edited by jerrycan

Don't think power steering was an option but believe air con could be. Presume its a USA car judging by over riders so maybe the extras were fitted there. No pics of chassis and my French isn't good enough to understand description. If the body and chassis aren't rusty and its mechanically sound, engine gearbox, diff , suspension, etc , again pics don't tell then seems OK price wise. Obviously assumes colour etc to your liking. Worth a call to owner to discuss.

To be honest the description don't say a lot about the specific condition.

This is the google translation

carbs; beautiful black leather upholstery, air conditioning, new aluminum radiator, Michelin, very original sound and works very well. Other options: canopy cover, luggage rack and radio; under strictly origins never repainted or blacksonnés.

No idea what blacksonnes are/is.

My french isn't great but I'll probably get a mate to phone up and get a bit more detail.

Under sealed it has never been under sealed.

Looks like a funny number plate, normally two letters three numbers two letters.dept 41 in the centre of France. so I think he has owned this over 5 years. Looks nice and a good price at the moment with the exchange rate.

That's a ´trade ´ plate - the advertiser does say he is a ´professional'. If yo need a hand with the translation pm me.

FYI there are quite a lot of chancers here in France looking to make a quick buck. A good look-see is very wise.

That said it looks pretty good to me

James

Année-modèle : 1976

Kilométrage : 111 111 KM

Carburant : Essence

Boîte de vitesse : Manuelle => Manual gear box

Description :

carbus ; belle sellerie cuir noir, clim., radiateur alu neuf, pneus Michelin, trés saine d'origine et fonctionne trés bien ; autres options : couvre capote, porte bagages et autoradio ; dessous strictement d'origines jamais repeints, ni blacksonnés. => Carbs version, beautifull seat covers blak leather , AIR COND; new Alu Rad, Michelin tires, very sound car in original configuration, work very well; Other options: Canopy cover, luggage rack and radio. Underside strictly original never repainted neither blackson (Black/ anti chip & rust coating)

PAS D EMAIL => No email address

Contact exclusivement par téléphone du L. au V. 9-12/14-18h répondeur en semaine, si absent. => Contact only by phone from Monday ti Friday 9 to 12 AM & 2 to 6 PM, otherwise answering machine if not available

Visible uniquement sur RV aux memes horaires du L. au V. => Only by Rdv during the same time as for contact

For me this a typical TR6 CF last year production but based on the description it is impossible to estimate the real condition.

FYI, as fare I know, a car not identified at the level of the Forum Triumph Club de France (TCF).

I do not feel confident with the way the advert is presented,

If you want I can contact the seller!

Regards

Unless it is really good I would look closer to home , it has the ugly bumpers , would cost a couple of grand to convert to RHD .... but would be a nice jolly going to have a look :-)

It is close to home and I want a LHD, that's why I'm looking in France. I put in my original post that it's about 3 hrs from where I live but looking on google maps it's more like 4 hrs.

I'm very grateful for the offers of help to speak to the vendor, I'm due to go away with work on Monday for 3 weeks, I think I'll take a chance and if it's still for sale when I get back, will be asking Marc R if he can get some more detail for me. Fingers crossed eh!

It is close to home and I want a LHD, that's why I'm looking in France. I put in my original post that it's about 3 hrs from where I live but looking on google maps it's more like 4 hrs.

I'm very grateful for the offers of help to speak to the vendor, I'm due to go away with work on Monday for 3 weeks, I think I'll take a chance and if it's still for sale when I get back, will be asking Marc R if he can get some more detail for me. Fingers crossed eh!

You are welcome, if needed I can call this week (then you will have some info to think and define the way to address the vendor). No issue for me, I am on vacations this week working on the tR6 and enjoying with the Stag).

Regards

They do tend to be rather more expensive in France - even allowing for recent exchange rate - check out "La Centrale" website (12 listed as of today - various regions) - mainly carb cars, but occasionally a genuine (Malines) LHD PI car. What region are you?

For an LHD TR6, look also on LVA http://www.lva-auto.fr/petites-annonces.php?idType=AR2100&vue=galerie&idMarque=MA66&idModele=MO249&debut=1885&fin=2015&idCarrosserie=-1&idDepartement=-1&prixmini=&prixmaxi=&motsCles=&idVae=AR110

You may also keep an eye on the web site of the Triumph Club de France (TCF), in most of the cases we have side information concerning the owner and the car. No TR6 at the moment. http://www.triumph-club-de-france.fr/petites-annonces/sommaire-voitures

For the reference/market price in France, you can consider the following LVA "côte" http://www.lva-auto.fr/cote.php?idMarque=MA66&idModele=MO249&rechercheType=1

Regards

For an LHD TR6, look also on LVA http://www.lva-auto.fr/petites-annonces.php?idType=AR2100&vue=galerie&idMarque=MA66&idModele=MO249&debut=1885&fin=2015&idCarrosserie=-1&idDepartement=-1&prixmini=&prixmaxi=&motsCles=&idVae=AR110

You may also keep an eye on the web site of the Triumph Club de France (TCF), in most of the cases we have side information concerning the owner and the car. No TR6 at the moment. http://www.triumph-club-de-france.fr/petites-annonces/sommaire-voitures

For the reference/market price in France, you can consider the following LVA "côte" http://www.lva-auto.fr/cote.php?idMarque=MA66&idModele=MO249&rechercheType=1

Regards

The more I look at these websites the more I think the price is quite reasonable.

Marc if you do get a chance to speak to the seller and can ask him for some more detail on the condition and if it has overdrive and indeed if it has power steering (it looks like it may have) I would very much appreciate it.

Best regards

Max

@ Jerrycan,

I shall contact the vendor today or tomorrow.

Regards

Edited by Marc R

Hi Jerrycan (Have you a name?)

I catch up w/ the vendor, M. Morel (A pro in contact w/ the Us) based in the south of Orléans. On top of the info already shared please find few more details:

1/ More pictures. Under http://www.lesanciennes.com/annonce/A63850-ventes-auto-triumph-tr6-cabriolet-1976.html?ftype=vo&fcat=&search=triumph%20TR6#

2/ Type and configuration.

• TR6 Carb , CF model, fab. in Dec. ’75, Manual gear box w/o OD

• 2x Zenith-stromberg 175 carb.

• Tires Michelin Red line

• Standard steel exhaust system (No Inox)

• Amstrong shock absorbers (No telescopic)

• Original color (to be confirmed w/ the info on the comm. Plate)

3/ Adm.:

• Serviced by a pro in the US prior to shipment to France recently.

• Passed the “control technique” / CT (a sort of MOT) in France since beginning of April.

• Car coming from the US and must be registered with a Carte Grise Collection (CGC).

4/ Add info.

• Body and frame in very good condition and car running very well

• Air cond. not tested! No info if the Air cond. has been converted and is compatible w/ the R134 gaz!

• I forgot to ask for the power steering ! This not an option for the TR6 and I do not see any power steering feature under the bonnet.

If needed we can ask for the comm. n° and the Paint and Trim codes ?

BTW another site with a lot of TR6: http://www.lesanciennes.com/lecture.php?search=triumph+TR6+&ftype=vo&fstsearch=1

My comments:

- Nice and attractive TR6, CF later version, to consider for a visit & test.

- In terms of look (personal consideration) between the Carb. versions CC and CF, I prefer the early TR6 CC or CF up to CF 27000 with the front face similar to the PI CP & CR (e.g. Front bumper in lower position & w/o over rider and the side/flasher lamps above the front bumper)

- Even if your French language is limited, I recommend you register, in addition to the Forum TRR UK, under the free Forum TCF (http://triumph-club-de-france.forums-free.com/) in order to submit the TR6 you will select and to receive support for “local” Triumph enthusiasts who know the French market, if the car is fare from your base, may have a look on the car and report prior to your visit and assist you during a visit.

- TRR community: As your are based in North Dordogne, you may send via the Forum TRR UK a message to “Kiwifrog” a TR Register member based in Dordogne.

Regards

Edited by Marc R

What looks like a power steering unit is actually an air injection pump-part of the emission control system used on the last few years of the TR6 carb cars. Most people have removed the emission control stuff unless they are a stickler for originality or have to pass an inspection or exhaust emission test. This car would have come with a 7.5 cr. head, the lowest used on the TR6.

Berry

Thanks Berry, thats what was throwing me. I was hoping it might have power steering as I've got a bit of a dodgy elbow and find some cars, depending on the angle of "attack" of the steering wheel very difficult to park in tight spots.

Do you happen to know is the lower compression by way of piston or head? i.e. can the compression be raised by skimming the head?

Also while on the subject of this particular car would it be possible to fit the lower bumpers and the indicators and side lights onto the front panel as per the earlier cars?

Max

The low compression is the head so skimming will bring it up. You cant really fit the earlier bumper without some metal work as the holes in the front panel for the indicators are different and the holes in the wing for the outer bumper mounts are also different. A bumperectomy does help to improve the frontal look.

Stuart.

Thanks Berry, thats what was throwing me. I was hoping it might have power steering as I've got a bit of a dodgy elbow and find some cars, depending on the angle of "attack" of the steering wheel very difficult to park in tight spots.

Do you happen to know is the lower compression by way of piston or head? i.e. can the compression be raised by skimming the head?

Also while on the subject of this particular car would it be possible to fit the lower bumpers and the indicators and side lights onto the front panel as per the earlier cars?

Max

Hi Max,

+1 with Stuar.

In terms of configuration:

- of "Early front face", "Head" and "OD",my suggestion,take your time and consult the others "Petites announces" on the sites mentioned and find a nice CC or early CF.

- of "power steering", you may study the option to install an electric power steering (have a look on the web) or the other Triumph option is a Stag Mk.2, LD type / Manual + OD, TV8 High Comp, Power steering, 2+2 :-).

Regards

"A bumperectomy does help to improve the frontal look." - nice one Stuart - does this one qualify?

Regards

Always nice, aggressive and racy a TR6 after a bumperectomy!

Regards