Hi All

I'm on the look out for a TR250 or a TR5, does anyone know this Car currently for sale on E-Bay and what do you think it's worth?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR-250-1968-/141636592333?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20fa32e2cd

Thanks in Anticipation

Gary

Looks ok but I wouldn't bid without viewing. Unrestored may mean it's a belter or the panels are iffy under good looking paint, go and have a look.

Mick Richards

Mick's right. Ya gotta look at the car!

This one looks OK in the pix, doesn't it? It's the one I bought in 1978, and was in fact a complete piece of ****. I still miss it...

i-fWc8sFF-X2.jpg

i-6nj4pfq-XL.jpg

If you want a rust/accident free example I wouldn't take a chance on that one ( like Don says ).

This is a much more likely candidate for one such:

http://www.chequeredflag.com/used-triumph/

Bringing one back from the ravages of rust is far more expensive than most folks imagine today ;) . The usual adage applies: " Buy the most expensive / best example you can afford - it will be the cheapest in the long run ".

I'm hoping to get up there Sunday to have a look, I'm based in Derby so it's only a couple of hours away max.

I've queried which area of the States it came from with the Vender, I suppose if it's from a dry State it's got a better chance of not being a rust bucket!

What area's should I be looking at for rust?

Tom

Good Advice, I've got a Mate who used to be a Register Member in the 1990's, he completely restored a TR5 back then (A John Gregory anyone remember him?), so he will probably be going with me for advice?

I'm not desperate to get one, I need to look at a few really before commiting, trouble is they are pretty rare and don't come up for sale that often?

There is another Valencia Blue TR250 for sale at a Dealer (Mentioned on another post) which I plan to have a look at too, I've recently sold a Triumph Vitesse that I fully restored so know a bit about Triumphs, just not that familiar with TR's

Thanks

Gary

Edited by Gary Flinn

John knows his onions Gary, haven't seen him for a while and remember his 5, has he still got the big healey?

Cheers Carl

Hi Carl

Yes John's still got the Healey, it looks even better after he had a Bare Metal re-spray a couple of years ago?

I've met you a few times before on the Peak Run, you normally attend with your mate in the light Blue TR4, its on again this year on Sunday the 14th of June if your interested?

I don't suppose you want to sell the 5 do you?

Thats me Gary, Rob sold the 4, a few years back now, I still attend the Peak Run, but not going this year, as I am going to give the Le Mans 24 hr ago, usually go to the Classic Le Mans.

Sorry hopefully I will never sell the 5

Cheers Carl

Ok, I had to ask :lol:

It's probably out my price range anyway :(

Going to see what the E-Bay TR250 Bidding is up to by Friday, if reasonable will give the guy a call and ask if I can view Sunday.

Watch this space!

46 Bids and up to £15k+ already :o

I've contacted the Vender and it's a South African Car, part of a collection that is being downsized

The guy said he's had a lot of interest from dealers?

I've arranged to have a look on Sunday, never buy the first one you see they always say :lol:

Edited by Gary Flinn

Oh bugger!

I wonder if a dealer's made him an offer he can't refuse?

I was all set for a run up to have a look :(

I will ring in the morning and try and find out whats happened.

Carl

I tried contacting the guy Sunday morning but got his answer phone, I left a message but he never came back to me? :angry:

It would appear he's either had an offer he can't refuse or decided not to sell?

• 3 weeks later...

Or it was a sham !

Who knows?

It will probably end up for sale at a Dealer with a fresh Coat of paint and a £30K Price Tag!! :(

Hi All,

I'm planning to go to see a TR250 at the weekend.

It's LHD and ex Florida according to the vendor.

Photos look OK and doesn't look to have been messed with too much as far as I can tell.

Does anyone have and pros and cons re the TR250?

I have a TR6 at the moment and would love a TR5 but............

It's the red one on Ebay on the Wirral.

Any advice would be welcome.

Nigel.

Hi Nigel,

I've owned a TR250 since 1976. I have a 2nd one since 2002 and have put at least 150K miles on them myself. Since you asked:

Pros: it can be made into a TR5 except for badging/provenance pretty easily. There are various ways to do this and my preference is CP head, cam and triple Weber DCOEs. I have over 100K trouble-free miles on this recipe, and it is faster in the 1/4 mile than the factory claimed numbers for the TR5*. It was produced in greater numbers than TR5s, but still rare. Many were sold and lived in dry climates in the U.S. so survive rust-free. Much cheaper than a TR5 in comparable condition. Prices are appreciating nicely and still have room to do so.

Cons: in standard form it is an unimpressive performer. It will never be a TR5 in the eyes of investors. It was only built in LHD ( only a problem for RHD preference ).

I assume you know what's so desirable about the TR5 ( i.e. the Michelotti body, Surrey / hardtop option, etc. ) but if not there's lots to tell!

Cheers,

Tom

* it also has head work and non-standard exhaust

Edited by Tom Fremont

Hi Tom and thanks for your reply.

This was really helpful - especially re the CP head and Webers!

I am not worried about LHD and love the Michelotti lines and the fact that essentially this is a TR4A with a 6 cylinder engine that can have its performance improved if desired.

I'll let you know how I went on after I have seen and driven the car.

Cheers and thanks again.

Nigel.