Eurocarparts are selling blue antifreeze at £13.55 for 5 ltrs (concentrate) It's on offer. I need to do 3 cars including the TR6, I put the pink long life in the TR6 before I was made aware of the alleged problems with pink; assuming it was OAT.

There is little info about the Euro parts blue other than it is ethylene glycol based.

Has anybody used their antifreeze or have an opinion before I buy it?

Thanks ken

Hi Ken,

Euro Car Parts are my employer's main supplier of lubricants & antifreeze (stand-by generator business). We buy concentrated antifreeze both red & blue from them by the 1,000s of litres per month. We maintain diesel engines which are modern and getting on a bit (40yrs+).

If a customer of ours is willing to pay the extra for long life antifreeze, then that's what we'll use in their engine after a thorough flush.....done this many many times over the past few years on older engines and have seen absolutely no ill affects at further maintenance/repair visits.

ECP's Triple QX seems like decent enough stuff to me. I'll ask a contact in my local branch for more detailed data on it and post back.

Richard.

Hi Ken,

Have recently purchased Bluecol 2 year antifreeze,ethylene glycol based,part number BLA005 from Andrew Page,£15 inc VAT. 5 Ltrs.

Some blue products still based on OAT, be aware.

Regards, Malcolm.

Almost all antifreezes are based on ethylene glycol, even the Evans stuff. If it is the 2 year type the corrosion inhibitors will normally be the old style inorganic (silicate) type and if 5 year it will be organic acid (OAT).

The antifreeze properties of ethylene glycol solutions last for many years but it is the corrosion inhibitors that break down and necessitate replacement.

Colour is not a reliable guide as although 2 year antifreeze is often blue it can be other colours also, no industry standards here.

Personally I would only use 2 year in my 3A as it is no hardship to change rather than risk the potential iff-effects of organic acids.

Almost all antifreezes are based on ethylene glycol, even the Evans stuff. If it is the 2 year type the corrosion inhibitors will normally be the old style inorganic (silicate) type and if 5 year it will be organic acid (OAT).

The antifreeze properties of ethylene glycol solutions last for many years but it is the corrosion inhibitors that break down and necessitate replacement.

Colour is not a reliable guide as although 2 year antifreeze is often blue it can be other colours also, no industry standards here.

Personally I would only use 2 year in my 3A as it is no hardship to change rather than risk the potential iff-effects of organic acids.

Thank you all, I will give it a try. I think it would be safe to assume that if there is no mention of OAT on the container then it doesn't contain it.

Cheers ken