TR3/TR4 alloy Rocker cover

Hi there,unless some one has an alloy rocker cover to sell me for my 3A , I have decided to buy a new one from either Moss or the TR shop.

Has anyone out there purchased one from either of these suppliers and if so were you happy with your purchase??

They are both about the same price, and both probably made by the same Chinese factory !!
Any advice as to which one to buy will be most appreciated-

Cheers Dave

Hi Dave ~

I bought an Alloy rocker cover for my 3A from Moss. Unfortunately the upper 'ribbed' casting was

full of blow holes and it leaked! In fairness Moss exchanged it without question for a better one.

If you buy one make sure you check the casting between the cast ribs. Any hint of blow holes

then send it back (at their expense). I would be inclined to specify that they supply you one

without any hint of blow holes ~ otherwise the deal is off.

If you send me your eMail address I'll send you photo's showing the blow holes.

Hope this helps ~

Best regards ~

Tom.

Previous thread on the subject, in case you missed it in your search:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/37114-alloy-rocker-cover-what-to-look-for/

Note that the Offy cover doesn't seem to be listed on Macy's site any longer -- Mark had only a few left the last we spoke; perhaps they're gone for good. ISTR the folks here who got one of them really liked it.

I have the Offenhauser cover and it's nice. It locates the original cork gasket very well. You need to sort out hold down arrangements. I use Mini T nuts and PU washers, again made for Minis. It also doesn't have a venting takeoff so unless it's modified it can't be used with a PCV system. Finally the filler cap is a twist on Chevy type. I tried three until I found an oil tight one. They are cheap thankfully.

On my 6 I had a Racetorations cover with integral silicone rubber or neoprene gasket. It was excellent. In hindsight I wish I'd gone for one on my 4A.

Edited by peejay4A

I don't think any of the aftermarket rocker covers which have a breather vent in the side (eg for hooking up to a PCV) include a baffle inside the cover to prevent oil mist being sucked out. OE covers have a small baffle.

This may not be a problem if venting to atmosphere or a catch tank, I suppose, but may affect oil consumption.

Mike

For those interested in the Offenhauser valve cover, Exeter Auto Supply in California has about 6 in stock.

Mike

$250. Pretty good price for it.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000377a~Z5Z5Z5AAAWQ~P250.00~~~~S4AV1FFZT797882132589d~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000377a

Had this fitted from day 1 and never had any issues with breathing, oil loss, doesn't leak and acts as a nice sound box for the engine stethoscope to detect noisy valve gear.

I would be concerned if there was sufficient pressure to blow oil out, the cap breather isn't the prettiest but does what it is supposed to.

Reason? Car is a USa one and possibly needless period bling but I like it. Why not?

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd269/Rodbr/P5300106.jpg

Mine doesn't blow oil out Rod. The oil splash finds its way past the fibre washer that's supposed to seal between the cap and the cover. The latest one is fine. How do you keep yours so shiny?

Hi Pete,

I use the following regularly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belgom-Alu-Alloy-Aluminium-Chrome-Metal-Polish-250ml-Cleaner-/400876193997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d561548cd

Apply with damp cloth and lightly polish off. Simple and the wax coating left prevent tarnish. Used a lot by custom bike guys.

I don't think my engine bay ever looked that clean, even immediately post rebuild. It's not been helped by a trip through Jackfield by the Severn at Ironbridge a couple of weeks ago where they're stabilising the banks. I don't know what's in that mud but it's bunged up everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...