REMOVING STUBBORN BONNET CATCH BOLT.

Hi All,

I'm looking to replace the bonnet catch that's fixed to the engine bulkhead with four bolts. The top two bolts came out with ease but both the lower two just turn without unwinding. I'm assuming these fix to captive nuts the other side of the bulk head and these seem inaccessible from under the dash.

I guess it's a case that either the threads have gone or maybe these aren't captive nuts and the nut is spinning? I've tried putting a flat blade screw driver behind the washer on the bolt and applying pressure whilst attempting to undo the bolt to no avail.

Anyone had similar issues or any tips please?

Removing the bolts is not the problem - hold head with moles and drill out - it is what to replace them with!!!.

You need to see what access there is. Have you got a pop up lid on your air vent in front of the screen - if yes then you may be able to see what's going on.

If no, then things are complicated.

Roger

Is there room to drill small hole tight to bracket to reach the detached captive nut, then mig weld nut to panel through the hole, unscrew bolt against the now welded nut, then drill second hole other side of nut and weld there to retain the nut with a second fixing?

Mole wrench will do as you require.

However, if the nut is spinning any corrosion on the threads will cause it to stay in place.

Just a thought! if you take the speedo and rev counter out, remove the wiper wheelbox cover you may be able to see what is going on.

After all you will have to replace it somehow.

Roger

The lower two nuts are visible from the inside of the car as they are below the plenum line. You will need the air pipes off the heater to see them, look up just above and to the left of the column grommet. You will need plenty of penetrating fluid and a spanner jammed in to hold the nut. Probably a two man job to remove but when you have them out replace with Rivnuts.

Stuart.

CR526O014_zps15b0c9b9.jpg

Edited by stuart

Thanks guys, I've bought a new pair of mole grips today and will be looking at this again either tomorrow or Monday.

Stuart, are you able to confirm if the lower bolts securing the bonnet catch use captive nuts or are they just standard nuts? If the latter this would explain what I am seeing with both the lower bolts spinning when attempting to undo.

Looking at Stuarts picture they dont look like your regular cage nuts which is amazing knowing how much Triumph loved cage nuts. These look like they are just tacked to the firewall which is consistent with my experience when removing and installing the bonnet latch assembly. I dont see the usual vagueness in locating the nuts that I see with cage nuts that float around in the cages.

Stan

Correct they are welded nuts which is why they will come loose. They just have a small shoulder that fits the hole and they are spot welded in. Usually only a very small spot too.

Stuart.

You can get to the left lower one (as you look at the car from the front) via the air intake for the heater. Take the black plastic grill off then the mesh. You can see the welded nut below in the plenum. I had the same problem.

Steve

You can get to the left lower one (as you look at the car from the front) via the air intake for the heater. Take the black plastic grill off then the mesh. You can see the welded nut below in the plenum. I had the same problem.

Steve

The two nuts in the plenum are the top ones, see my picture above for the bottom ones which are the problem here.

Stuart.

... mole grips and drilling proved difficult to remove the two remaining bolts so I invested in a long neck angle grinder to take the heads off the bolts, the remaining thread and nut just pushed through so they could not have been captive or welded and may be replaced with standard nuts at some point during a restoration in the past. I'm now looking to fit the replacement lock and will try to fit replacement nut and bolt or rivnuts as suggested here. Thanks for all your advice and tips.