Petrol pump special spanner

I have been having problems with my m.p.g. on my TR3A. There may be a diaphragm fault so I have a replacement petrol pump. I have passed the entire afternoon yesterday changing the unit. I have a range of spanners and socket sets. The rear stud on the engine seems inaccessible with any spanner even if I shorten an old one.

A 1/2 inch socket is impossible. A 3/8 socket will fit but there is no way to fit the ratchet handle.

In the end I used a 1/4 inch socket and a short extension with a small ratchet handle. It seemed impossible to line up the extension so that socket fitted over the nut. So I fitted the socket first and then held the extension and ratchet tight against the socket but not fully home. This allowed a few small turns until it fell off, again and again.

I have finally fitted it but there must be a better way. I am sure that Standard Triumph did not allow 4 hours for fitting a new pump.

Does any one have a more efficient tool or method?

Thanks

Richard & H.

Hello Richard, if it is the same setup as a 4a I cut an open ended spanner in half and used the shaft of a hammer, knocking downwards, to tighten the bolt, another way could be to replace the bolts with socket head bolts and you can get the ball head allen keys that work at an angle, cheers, Andrew

I have no problem getting a 1/2" socket (short, 3/8 drive) on a short, wobbly extension. The ratchet just gets inside the bulkhead and, once loosened, I can remove the nut by spinning the extension by hand.

Maybe my engine sits slightly differently...

Edit: Doh! TR3A, not TR4. I really must read the posts more carefully ;-)

Edited by TorontoTim

I have no problem getting a 1/2" socket (short, 3/8 drive) on a short, wobbly extension. The ratchet just gets inside the bulkhead and, once loosened, I can remove the nut by spinning the extension by hand.

Maybe my engine sits slightly differently...

I have no problems at all using the same setup as Tim, but 1/4" drive. As Stuart says, a Snap-on wobble extension is a nice thing to have -- I use them all the time. Piece of cake with that tool. Edited by Don H.