Fireproof bulkhead

post-11544-0-89395000-1420198011_thumb.jpgpost-11544-0-67672000-1420198013_thumb.jpgpost-11544-0-12584600-1420198016_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

Thought I would post a few photos of the finished bulkhead as it might help those who might follow - and as a tribute to all the useful advice that I got from you guys!

Seems only three photos will load so I'll try to send the remaining 3 separately(?)

Accepting that welded steel is the strongest - but as it's not a racing car, and so....

....I finally went for 1.5mm ali because the body was already painted and I quite liked the idea that i could (later) get to the tank from the cockpit side if necessary (SS self tappers)

....The fibreboard bulkhead acted as a good starting point as a template for the ali.

....1.5mm bent quite easily but still gave really good strength I felt.

....The "ears" that fill the void within the wing areas are sealed in with DumDum and can stay-put if I do need to take the big panel out. (They are very rigidly held in place by fixing to the two steel body flanges that already exist.

All in all I'm very happy that the result will add some additional rigidity and extra safety - given the intended use.

Happy New Year everyone

Norman

No luck with the additional photos (3off x 100K only). In the advanced mode it says.... "You have exceeded your allotted disk space for attachments" and in the Basic mode it says...."You can upload up to Uploading is not allowed of files (Max. single file size: 8MB)"

I'll try again tomorrow - maybe something will reset itself!

Norman,

I think you may need to delete some of the photos

from previous posts to allow space for new ones.

I found one (brake slave cylinder locating plates)

that yoo posted and it is 2½MB on it's own.

AlanR

Thanks Alan, I'll give that a try.

I didn't realise that one had a finite overall limit. It rather limits the power of the whole concept(?)

Norman

Hi Norman,

as Alan states you only have 1.9Mb of photo space.

Delete all of them that are a month or more old.

The usual way to keep pics live on the forum is to use Photobucket etc

keep new pics to apprx 100Kb.

The new website may have improvements in the memory department.

Roger

Thanks for the IT Training guys - learn something new every day!

Have managed to delete to make room and will try to master the Photobucket bit for the future.

Regards

Norman

post-11544-0-01062700-1420205773_thumb.jpg

post-11544-0-24678500-1420205781_thumb.jpg

post-11544-0-11333300-1420205793_thumb.jpg

Hi Norman,

Thanks for the pics, a job I will be doing soon. You don't appear to have any sound absorbing pads on the floor or the panel over the diff? I would recommend that you fit these and also on the newly fitted panel as drumming may be a problem here.

Cheers

Graeme

A couple of years ago, a friend supplied me with a utility program which reduces photos to 1280 x 960, or about 72KB, which is sufficient to make out all but very small details.

With this utility on the Desktop, all I have to do is left click on a photo, move across and hover over the utility's icon, release the left button and await an instruction to hit return. The utility produces a copy with the suffix -1280. I use it almost always when sending photos by email, as it saves a great deal of time in making attachments.

Perhaps someone who is more adept could advise me whether (and how) I could make this very helpful utility available to others through the Forum?

Ian Cornish

A couple of years ago, a friend supplied me with a utility program which reduces photos to 1280 x 960, or about 72KB, which is sufficient to make out all but very small details.

With this utility on the Desktop, all I have to do is left click on a photo, move across and hover over the utility's icon, release the left button and await an instruction to hit return. The utility produces a copy with the suffix -1280. I use it almost always when sending photos by email, as it saves a great deal of time in making attachments.

Perhaps someone who is more adept could advise me whether (and how) I could make this very helpful utility available to others through the Forum?

Ian Cornish

I think that the program that Ian refers to above is this one. I have used it for years.

http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize

Cheers

Graeme

Wish I hadn't started the "Cars owned" bit - I now keep remembering ones I'd completely forgotten!

Back on topic:

Graeme, I didn't place the bitumen pads on the diff (I think because of the 3D surface) but it does now have sound deadening underlay. Similarly, the floor now has both the bitumen pads ( in the rebated part of the pressings and then overall) and sounded deadening underlay. The fuel tank had the pads - but have to say, I accept it is a good idea to put some on the firewall - which I'll now do!

Ian - the utility of which you speak sounds just the ticket. Does it have a name or something? Thanks Graeme - posts crossed in the ether.

And I'll admit that it wont stop a raging inferno or a massive shunt to the rear. but should a fire start at the rear or the tank ruptures, then a it ought to give a few more precious seconds to escape. I thought long and hard about all the things it would not achieve (at my age wasting time a no-no) but in the end couldn't persuade myself not to make some (proportional) effort, especially as my grandchildren will on occasions be riding shotgun.

Norman

Edited by TRnorm

Norman

Don't get me wrong as that is better than nowt ;) but every post I have seen on the subject is wrong.The boot becomes the fuel tank those I have seen on here are fitted the wrong side and not sealed as it should be,coat on.

Edited by ntc
  • 5 years later...