Auction TR6 - apparent low miles/condition - comments?

I would have thought that the difference between a TR6 with 2 thousand miles and 102 thousand would have been very clear?

If it is documented has MOT and history to prove it is a very low mileage car - why are people arguing with it's provenance....Derek has made a sound "supporting case" after a bit of research.

Why not prove it has 102K - it does not bother either way incidentley :wacko:

I can verify the details that Derek has written above. I have seen the car and yes it has been painted very well back to White. The original owner wanted a "Red" TR6 but couldn't find one anywhere at the end of the TR6 production. So he painted the outside of a white car red - simples!! Interesting and verified history. I think it would be worth £30k if it was absolutely original and not having been painted back to white! But what do I know (and no its isn't my car!!)

:P

Oh - Shezbo - Do you think it might be a "Tad" expensive? :D

Edited by marko

Hold on - It looks like we have changed cars that this thread was discussing.

The original car in this thread, which is a 1971 CP car which is advertised in an auction with 5,000 miles on the clock, but it has NO history for the first eight years. So it has only covered a few thousand in the last 30 years, but what happened in the first eight.

All the early comments are about this car and NOT the car that was white, then red and now white with history to back its low mileage.

No wonder there is conflicting views.

The point is can the seller claim it is low mileage without knowing its history for the first eight years.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

thanks for highlighting the price the original red car from the start of this thread made.

well I wonder how good it was in the flesh as, I would have expected it to potentially go for a little more than that. It is odd that the gearbox was replaced (unless it was faulty from new).

My guess is it might have made up to £15k or so.

Hope its found a good home in any case, and I hope someone does actually drive it!!

Cheers,

J.

The auction results make interesting reading . . . .

http://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auctions/2014-08-30/cars.aspx?page=0&make=&model=

A lot of metal that didn't move on. A few that made above estimate. Many more that sold within or below estimate. Bearing in mind that auctioneers' estimates tend to be on the low side . . . .

Food for thought - for those who can't resist trying to talk up the value of classic cars at every opportunity.

Read the subway walls.

Cheers

Alec

James - Yes I thought it could be a reasonable price if a solid car. It will probably require some work to make it realible considering, its done no mileage for the past 13 years (687). Probably brought by a trader who will put £5k on!! - Hope not.

I brought a CR TR6 last winter which had an annual MOT every year, but had covered only 50 miles in the previous 7 years. It required recon injectors and MU (I'm lucky that Neil F lives very close by), new rad, clutch and head gasket. The last two were known faults when i brought it.

Alex - take your point but all TR's sold. The MG TD could had been a bargain, making half of its low estimate although LHD and with an Irish registration.

• 2 weeks later...

... the 2000 mile white TR6 made £26,775 including buyers premium at Saturday's auction http://www.angliacarauctions.co.uk/en/classic-auctions/latest-classic-car-catalogue/saturday-23rd-august-2014/2000-miles-from-new-tr6/

... and now up for sale at £ 33,850 http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C540384

• 2 weeks later...

... the 2000 mile white TR6 made £26,775 including buyers premium at Saturday's auction http://www.angliacarauctions.co.uk/en/classic-auctions/latest-classic-car-catalogue/saturday-23rd-august-2014/2000-miles-from-new-tr6/

Cheers

Andrew