Trailing arm stud jig?

Hi Niall,

I wish we could finally decide what is best to use and where these Parts can be got,a Link or 2 might be useful.

So we need,

1 Jig ??? Harry has one but he may need to do his T/A again (just for fun) :P

2 Drill Bit,what Size. This comes with the helicoil set

3 Tap,what Size. This comes with the helicoil set

4 Inserts ??? so many Choices. These come with the set

5/16" UNC is the general upgrade.

Roger

Hi Roger,

You are welcome to use my Jig,copy it,use it but return it in the condition you found it. I fitted UNF studs as the helicoil is a coarse outer thread anyway.Maybe I should fit unc.

Regards Harry

AAAAaaaaaahhhhh Tubal Cain, he's got lots of videos on Youtube which I enjoy watching, slightly different method to the one I described but broadly the same. Love his accent, to my Brit ears it's like being talked to by Jimmy Stewart.

Mick Richards

Orig stud was 5/16 UNF both ends - which is 1.5" long (TD812)

Here is possible site in UK for UNC/UNF in 5/16" - if it is tool long a saw might be the best option.

http://www.gwr-fasteners.co.uk/stud-516-uncunf-x-114---austinrovermg---10-pack-7484-p.asp

or

http://www.namrick.co.uk/acatalog/Home_Manifold_Studs_42.html

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I should be doubtful of using the studs shown on the Namrick site.

If they are as shown the UNC end is too short, there is parent metal available in the casting to go deeper than the original drillings and gain maybe another 3 or 4 threads. It looks like from the photo using these short UNC thread forms they wouldn't utilise even the existing drillings for depth, I'd phone them and query before buying them.

Mick Richards

Niall,

Because the trailing arm studs are placed into forged "blocks" (in the main") if you break through at the bottom it doesn't matter. The stud doesn't gain any strength from the bottom only the shank and so it wouldn't bother me to break through there.

Mick Richards

Are we talking studs or the jig ?

Mick Richards

Sorry I'm sleepy and didn't explain properly.

I'm thinking about making studs UNC-UNF with the length of threads that really suits the job.

As it happens I have a Herbert die-head to do this and I'd only need one set of chasers.

Hi Alan,

I think the EN8 being a quality steel with good machining properties should do the job fine. Because there are 6 fixings around the hub they only need the feeble 16 lb ft torque requirement to do the job, so the EN8 material will easily give that.

Mick Richards

Hi Alan,

You have a PM.

Mick Richards