revotec fan controller/ manual overide wiring

Hi All,

I have fitted a new Revotec fan, comes with a controller for top hose.

Wiring diagram is shown in this link page 6

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=VRqjU72ENY6w7AansYDwCA&url=http://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/products/instructions/231-710_RFK10_Supplemental%2520Information.pdf&cd=19&ved=0CF0QFjAS&usg=AFQjCNFZWgRodo0u99sDWPpUATGE_GVL2A&sig2=Abn1OPVpxYXF6UzcUPFhLQ

Please could someone advise me the best way to wire in a manual overide switch?, I have e mailed Revotec directly but to no response.

Thanks

Guy

Hi,

Can't open link, so will assume the fan is supplied through a relay. The relay primary, ie. the coil, will be earthed via the stat switch. All you need to do is connect another earth circuit from the relay coil with an inline switch, so either the stat or switch will provide the earth and thus turn on the fan. I also connected a dash warning light to the fan relay contact to show the fan coming on by the stat or switch. The supply the relay coil can be either via the ignition swith or an non-ignition source, the latter enabling the fan to remain with the ignition turned off.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Hi,

Can't open link, so will assume the fan is supplied through a relay. The relay primary, ie. the coil, will be earthed via the stat switch. All you need to do is connect another earth circuit from the relay coil with an inline switch, so either the stat or switch will provide the earth and thus turn on the fan. I also connected a dash warning light to the fan relay contact to show the fan coming on by the stat or switch. The supply the relay coil can be either via the ignition swith or an non-ignition source, the latter enabling the fan to remain with the ignition turned off.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks,

Sorry about that link, having computer issues one way or another

Heres another the diagram is same as in the first post except just one fan

Hope this works

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/technical/119621-fan-controller-melting-fuses-why.html

I hope to wire in my existing kenlowe switch which is illuminated.

Cheers

Guy

Just read through that link above, and note the wiring diagram at the post timed at

22:53

Edited by Jersey Royal

If you're switching an earth to override there's a problem getting a warning lamp to light, especially one in the switch itself. I think we've discussed this somewhere on the forum but I had to use blocking diodes to do something similar with a Revotec setup.

Hi Guy

I have a revotec fan wired with a manual override. If you take the wiring diagram at the driftwork link and splice a wire into the blue between the the relay and the fan that is where you want to inject your additional supply. So I assume taking a supply to your switch and then on to that point should be what you want. I put an extra in line fuse just prior to the fan on both the normal red and the new supply (as when fans go wrong they can draw a lot of current, not sure why).

I have had a few problems with the revotec relays failing, but they have been very good and always replaced them FOC, but I now always have a spare. I suspect that as I'm running a dynamo with a voltage regulator modern relays aren't quite as tolerent. When the relay fails thats when you really appreciate why you bothered to put in the manual override!

Hello Guy

The Revotec wiring uses the thermostat to switch the earth shown as a light blue wire.

A simple overide would be to run an earth through a switch and connect to that thin blue wire, that would earth the coil and run the fan.

If you wanted it illuminated you could switch a positive onto 8f the thick blue wire as per the previous post but as this is supplying the fan motor it must be via a second relay, you could then switch the positive to the coil on the new relay and use a standard illuminated switch. You probably have one already :)

Edited by Prefect

Thank you Chaps,

Most helpful

I have connected an earth to the light blue wire via a switch on dash, and fan comes on.

So thats Great.

My switch is an old type kenlowe illuminated one, which used to light up when fan came on via the stat, plus turn the switch light and fan come on.

So why cant I connect to this dash switch an ignition control 12v supply, the earth wire from the relay(light blue wire) and the switch itself has to be earthed. So as I understand it, probably misguided, when the contoller earths out either via the stat or by turning the switch on, this will complete the circuit on the dash switch and the switch will light?

Hmmmm trouble is dont think the kenlowe overide switch is wired like that, has four terminals one is earth two are power trying to work out what the other is.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Hi Guy

I have had an over-ride fitted with the Revotec controller for some time.... I have the switch and feed installed on a piggyback on the fan 'plug' (blue wire to relay). All satisfactory...

Cheers

Ian

Edited by ianhoward

As I said above, switching earths means problems with getting warning lamps working. You could use your existing illuminated switch to control the coil of another relay which then provides the earth to the Kenlowe relay coil, or even +12V direct to the fan. That would illuminate the switch when the override is on but if you want a tell tale as to when the fan is running under thermoswitch control you have to get the 12V back from the fan to the dash in order to operate a lamp. I did this on my 6 but had to dismantle the illuminated switch to get it to work. It wasn't pretty.

Edited by peejay4A

Ok

Thanks again for above comments

This is what I have done.

Binned the kenlowe switch, and used an ordinary toggle switch and separate warning light.

To the dash light I have wired a separate 12v feed ignition controlled,the earth to this light I have connected to a link wire connecting to blue wire(the small blue one between controller and relay) and connected to toggle switch.The other terminal on toggle switch goes to earth.

My reckoning is,rightly or wrongly is that the small blue wire switchs to earth and fires up relay fan works,the light works in manual and fan comes on, yet to dry in in auto mode.

What do chaps think.?

Sorry I cant post a photo.

Cheers

Guy

I wired the warning light to the fan supply terminal on the relay after the contact, ( so the light indicates when the fan is running via switch or stat ) and used a Lucas 3 position toggle switch ( ie light switch ) for the fuel pump, and fan over-ride,

ie. off/fuel/fuel+fan.

Adds a little extra security,

Cheers

Mike