wolfrace/cobra slot alloys

searched this site but could not find any articles so I am hoping someone can help . I have had 3 company's tell me they cannot help with polishing these wheels I have had ago but its hard work to say the least . it seems they are only interested in diamond cutting polish and painting all I want is polish only based in herts thank you for any advice

When I first bought my 6 it had Wolfrace wheels with it that badly needed polishing. I decided to sell them to a friend for his TR4 and he had them powder coated white, they looked stunning and I wish I had kept them....another option other than polishing.

Cheers

Tony

searched this site but could not find any articles so I am hoping someone can help . I have had 3 company's tell me they cannot help with polishing these wheels I have had ago but its hard work to say the least . it seems they are only interested in diamond cutting polish and painting all I want is polish only based in herts thank you for any advice

My wheels were polished professionally but use this to buff them up along with polishing compound hope this helps?http://www.frost.co.uk/flitz-polishing-buff-ball.html?___store=default&gclid=CjkKEQjwzv-cBRD_oY2PouKVvMIBEiQAKuGNC4rzaQmVdtX2e8p4CMPpwzqKyj3_Mv1-SA4iONCuTs3w_wcB

Cheers

Mike

Hi,

I've had similar experiences in trying to refurbish my Cobra Supaslots - all the wheel refurbishers I spoke to were only willing to take the easier route of skimming off the outer rim to remove the pitting, to the point that they take so much off the wheel that they actually remove the embossed writing. I ended up resigned to this lack of choice, and so ended up with a shinny set of alloys without any of the original markings - what a waste of original wheels and cash.

So when I acquired a set of Wolfrace Slotmags I decided to have a go myself. I used an orbital sander (yes, sander!) with a coarse grit paper on the rims, to remove the gashes caused by kerbing the wheels. Then I used a fine wet and dry paper (1000 grain, wet) to achieve a really smooth finish and put the bevel back on the edges. This has restored the rims to looking as new without removing the manufacturer's name etc.

That was the easy bit! Sadly, for polishing the rest of the wheels, there is nothing as good as elbow grease & aluminium polish. It's dirty, time consuming and really, really boring...

I then masked off the holes and spray painted the inside with Hammerite.

They look shinny and as good a new, but boy was it hard work!

Paul

Edited by paul83

Polishing alloys with ordinary chrome polish or whatever is too much like long-winded hard work . . . . one of the coarser Farecla cutting compounds will get through the surface corrosion a good deal more easily, then follow with a finishing compound.

You can probably buy a modest quantity from your friendly local body shop, or their supplier.

Cheers

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle

many thanks for the feedback / in the end I polished them with a mop in a pistol drill on high speed (the drill not me ) and professional polish soap the brown hard wax that melts on the mop then normal chrome/ally polish they look like new and it took about half hour per wheel the mop was 6inch dia not really hard work in the end

many thanks for the feedback / in the end I polished them with a mop in a pistol drill on high speed (the drill not me ) and professional polish soap the brown hard wax that melts on the mop then normal chrome/ally polish they look like new and it took about half hour per wheel the mop was 6inch dia not really hard work in the end

Great to hear.

Cheers

Mike.

When I was looking for someone to polish some wheels, I spoke with a firm in the midlands who recommended spray chrome paint rather than polishing. It looked interesting, but I didn't have them done in the end.

If you search Chrome Wheel Paint, you will find people who offer this service.

All the best.

Dave.