Ive just bought these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121305733408?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I dont know about the quality yet but Ive taken a chance at this price. Ive got some ratchet imperial spanners already but wanted the flexy head type like my Halfords metric set because they are very handy. They are normally at lot more than this - but obviously they may be better quality.

I will report back on here when I get them if youre interested.

Ive no connection with these btw,

Cheers

Nick

Edited by AlfredHitchcock

I would certainly like to know more, Nick. I don't think that price is significantly cheaper than metric ones I have seen, so you might be ok.

I have a set exactly like that (from the Sears brand Craftsman, when they were still US-made five or six years ago). Frankly, I can't remember the last time they were used. The need to pivot the head comes up so rarely that they don't fill a vital role in my toolbox, and the ratcheting head is larger than it needs to be when it's locked to make it a conventional spanner. Flipping the spanner to reverse the ratchet isn't as convenient as a lever (IMO).

A Chinese-made but decent quality 5-piece set (vs the 8-piece in the op) is £15 over here.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-sae-flex-head-combo-wrench-set-60591.html

The ones that have become my go-to tools are the reversible combination spanner type. I find this style incredibly useful and recommend it over the pivoting type.

i-R34B7WM-X2.jpg

vs

$_12.JPG

Edited by Don H.

Don

I have a set of flexi head metric and I find them absolutely brilliant for getting that extra twist in confined spaces. In fact I sometimes find myself using them at almost 90 degrees.

Imperial flexi head are difficult to get in the UK now, unless you pay £100+ off of ebay. Thats why I got a fixed set and although they are decent quality, I've been after a set of flexys for this price.

They might be rubbish :unsure: . I'll send them back if they are.

Cheers

Nick

Some of the garage and tool forum discussion over here has taught me there's an entire generation of highly competent mechanics who have no inch-based tools at all in their toolboxes. They must not have houses or stuff in them any older than their cars, I guess. I use my metric and inch-based stuff about equally, both on cars and household. Inch-based tools (called SAE by US mechanics) are quite easy to find over here.

These folks also never use a slotted screwdriver and wonder why this style is still included in sets. I use slotted much more than Phillips/crosshead. I'm gettin' old...

I find a socket on a wobble extension to be more practical than a 90° bend in the pivoting spanner. But as my dad said, that's why they have horse races -- everyone has their own favorite.

I find that ratchet spanners are too clumsy and most gather dust on the wall. I find, like Don, that a 3/8 drive socket wil get most places.

Here in Canada most screws have what is called a 'Robinson Square' head. I find them most useful when doing DIY in the house, but trying to get 10/32 screws without a square head is next to immposible. I also find that it is difficult to find UNF threads as most North American iron seems to use UNC.

Cheers

Graeme

Good Topic

I am using mostly Stahlwille or Snapon Tools since my Apprenticeship and added on constantly for over 40 Years. During my Last Visit I have purchased a set of Inch size straight Ratchet Spanners, over in the US (Farm & Fleet) at a good price and good Quality. Another good Source is the German Manufacturer Kraftwerk, have once a look at their Website. I dont like the swivelling Heads, if I have to loosen something really tight, I use flat Ring / Fork Coninations which go in every Cranny and can even be handled with another Ring Spanner as extension. But Tastes are different.

Have a lovely sunny Sunday Afternoon

Robert

Well I've received these today and I'm not that impressed.

I'm going to keep them but I cannot recommend them as particularly good quality or value to anyone else.

They are not a patch on my Halfords Professional metric set which cost £40.

Spose you get what you pay for. :unsure:

Edited by AlfredHitchcock

Plus they are Imperial.

If Halfords sold more Imperial as well as metric I'd buy everything from them, their quality is hard to beat for the money with Lifetime guarantee on their Professional range and availability in the evenings and weekends (which is when I break anything I've got ! ).

Mick Richards

Another vote for halfords professional.

I dropped a HP ratchet into the bilge on a yacht once, recovered it months later rusted up!

Took it into halfords to buy a replacement, they said 'lifetime warranty' and gave me a new one.

I told them what had happened to it..... They still gave me anew one!

Steve