Can anyone tell me when the position of the regulator changed from horizontal to vertical mounting. My car is a 59 model and has the fixing holes positioned horizontally. Bill Piggots book states that later cars had them positioned vertically but I'm not sure when this occurred. I'm fairly certain that my bulkhead has been changed at some point & so I cant trust the location of the holes that are presnt. I'd just like the positioning to be correct for the year of manufacture.

Many thanks

Graeme

Hi Graeme. After a trawl throng P.B's "original Triumph TR" book, the only clue I could find is that from TS6001 (Oct 59) new bodyshell tooling was introduced, & also a new loom using spade push-on connectors. Good chance this was the point at which the new spade type regulator was fitted, & at the new angle ?

Bob.

Hi Graeme ~

My 3A is a 1960 post 60,000 model (TS 70470 O) and the regulator is horizontal and the loom is fitted with spade connectors.

Tom.

I also have a post 60k car built in Jan 1960 and it has a vertically mounted regulator box with spade terminals.

Stan

Stan, & Graeme. what are your commision Nos. ? with that info we may be able to deduce the change point .

Bob.

I have TS 66324 L

Built 15 Jan 1960

Cant totally guarantee that anything on this car was the same as when it left the factory however.

stan

From all the above I would go for horizontal as being correct, as it is pre 60K, & it would seem that even some post 60k ers are also horizontal.

Bob.

I also have a post 60k car built in Jan 1960 and it has a vertically mounted regulator box with spade terminals.

Stan

Mine as well built in 1961

Here is the photo of my control box (regulator) as it cam new on my black 1958 TR3A. TS 27489 LO. The screws for the wires are horizontal.

On a late green TR3A I restored (TS 81551 L) the spade fittings on the control box are vertical.

It's confusing above what several of you define as horizontal or vertical control box.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A

I define horizontal as having the terminals horizontal as in the left hand photo above.

This was correct for TR2 / 3, & earlier TR3A's The exact change point is (so far) unknown, but it would seem to be

sometime after the 60K changes.

Bob.

Here is a photo of my TR3a (TS63xxx L) built on 12th Dec 1959 and taken at the start of its rebuild. I have no reason to suspect that the bulkhead isn't completely original at this point.

Rgds Ian