Space saver spare wheel

I was thinking about making up an adaptor for a space saver spare wheel to help with boot space on my TR6 having fitted 195 / 65 tyre it takes up a lot of space and weight, not sure on the regulations but then thought about a wheel from a TR2 or 3 fitted with a slim tyre 155 or 165 painted the same as a space saver, would this be within the law?

Thanks for any advice

Keith

Hi Keith,

The subject of space-saver's have come up a few times before. Apparently the skinny spares from some 90's Honda's and Saab's bolt straight on - how legal?, don't know.

Problem with saving space is you presumably fill up the space with additional 'stuff' when you go away ( I don't imagine you go around with a bootfull all the time), so the scenario is you have a flat, dig out the SS to help you on your way. What are you going to do with your lovely (flat,possibly wet and muddy full-size - throw it over the nearest hedge because you've nowhere to put it.

On the matter of weight , a TR is no eco-warrior so the saving will have no significant difference in performance/economy.

Just my thoughts but I'm not here to tell you which way to go. It's your car.

Cheers, Mike

What are you going to do with your lovely (flat,possibly wet and muddy full-size.

Put in the wife's knee?

Cheers

Ian

Edited by ianhoward

Hi Keith,

space savers are very much an 'at your own risk' exercise . . . . and on your own head be it !

Unlike modern cars fitted with space savers, there is no manufacturer's type approval for space savers for our classic cars.

That make it extremely difficult to argue the toss in the event of an accident, for example, or even a routine police check.

In any case, you would need your insurer's approval in order to actually use the space saver - without it you could be up the creek.

SWMBO might well feel she really needs the extra space in the boot, but she might just change her mind after a trial journey with a standard wheel and 195/65 sitting on her lap for an hour or two . . . . and economise on the packing instead. :P

Cheers

Alec

The POnof my TR6 got his hands on a 5" rim with a 155 or 165 (I think)ntyre so the boot floor is flat. Better for every day use of the boot i must admit. Haven't needed to use the Tyre yet so no issue with where to put the larger flat tyre

Graze

Just to be clear, it is not illegal to to use a pukka space saver wheel but it is, to use a narrower standard tyre as a space saver because it is illegal to mix tyre sizes on the same axle.

Interestingly (to me) is that my Merc is fitted with factory option AMG 'staged' wheels and tyres, 275/18 rear and 245/18 front. The spare is the original spec 235/16 combo and due to the differences in aspect ratio, all have the same rolling circumference to within about 1%.

This setup might be technically illegal but I think I would be extremely miffed, whilst limping to a tyre shop, to get a 'ticket' from a sharp eyed copper. The set up is hardly dangerous and you drive accordingly.

Hi Alec,

I hear you but surely pre-dating Type Approval means that we have more freedom to do what we like with our cars so long as any deviation from standard spec is declared to the insurer and doesn't contravene 'construction & use' .

That is part of the attraction :D

Edited by Ragtag

Hi Chris,

but it does contravene the usual requirement that the wheel/tyre fitment across an axle should be equal . . . . .

An illustration of 'type approval' over riding 'construction and use' . . . . .

Without the former, we fall foul of the latter . . . .

Cheers

Alec

If its just luggage space you need why not fit a rear rack with a period suitcase?

I have a TR3A , the one with the small spare wheel compartment and the TR4 wheels I am running on 60 spoke will not go in the hole so the spare is a TR3 48 spoke wheel so I'm probably illegal too. At least the punctured wheel can stow on the rack though.

Or carry no spare and a tube of sealer? When I had a motor bike that was the option for especially the rear tyre.

That's the route taken by some Minis and super cars liked pals Audi R8 V10 with the Titanium wheels, a set of which cost more than my first house!

Regards

Bill G@NB

So, the space saver is illegal.

Using a space saver, what do you do with the punctured wheel/tyre as in BillG case - the punctured tyre is probably thinner than inflated so may fit.

There are the aerosols of sealant that work well on nail holes etc - not on a ripped case. However it is a temporary fix (mine lasted 9 months) and the tyre cann't be repaired.

For the none side screen cars a normal spare can be used (why do people use 195 and bigger tyres :huh: ) and with clever distribution all your luggage will fit. You can get eigth small Frosties packs around the top of the fuel tank.

Or do like the racing cyclists, fold your spare tyre around your neck and shoulders in a figure of eight :P

Roger

Thanks for all the replies to the question on space saver, it was just a thought, I think I will stick to what I have and leave the wife at home, knees are just not up to it, I did make up another wheel cover for the boot raising it to suit the extra height of the tyre, next time I replace the tyres I will be looking at going back to the XAS in standard size.

Keith

Space savers?

PITFA… 30 miles at 30mph? FTN on a Sunday afternoon.

My last Honda had one. First thing I did was buy a proper spare wheel after getting left looking like Mr Snail 50 miles from home with a flat.