For those interested, TR Register Oz is providing TR2-TR3B sidescreen cars for the Formula 1 driver's parade prior to the Australian Grand Prix. This event takes place at 3.30pm Australian Eastern Daylight Saving time on Sunday 16 March. Each owner will draw an F1 driver to take around the track with a banner naming the driver placed across the top of the windscreen.

Although the parade will probably only appear on Pay TV, it's still quite valuable publicity for the marque.

Last time we did this I took Heinz-Harald Frentzen around and it's a huge buzz, but nerve wracking when you hit the starter button in front of the main grandstand.

Viv.

That's pretty cool, Viv. I guess someone from your club will be taking photos, yes?

Our F1 coverage here is evolving after a big network change last year. NBC Sports is tending toward more online options -- we'll have to see if the driver's parade is covered.

Been a lotta years since an F1 champion was in a sidescreen car, I'd guess...

This sounds very cool, hopefully Sky will show the parade in the UK.

For interest here is the first British Formula 1 World Champion driving a TR3A, VHP529 in November 1958.

img009_zps84674845.jpg

Good luck on Sunday :rolleyes:

Edited by iain

Viv

That's fantastic! The only bummer is it's a couple of years too early... I'm just about finished rebuilding my old man's 3A here in sunny Scotland but if all goes according to plan I'll be shipping her over to Melbourne within the next 18 months or so... here's hoping the sidescreens get another turn before she needs the next rebuild...

One question - I wonder if they fit the cars with drip trays under the sump for the parade? :)

This sounds very cool, hopefully Sky will show the parade in the UK.

For interest here is the first British Formula 1 World Champion driving a TR3A, VHP529 in November 1958.

Good luck on Sunday :rolleyes:

Thanks for the picture, Iain. I am old enough to remember Mike Hawthorne but only vaguely. The British F1 champion was a bit less of a front page item here in the US. Turned out to be a sad story too. He retired that year and was killed on the road shortly thereafter.

Also don't ever remember seeing hubcaps like those on on the TR3 which I assume were aftermarket.

Tom

Hi Tom

quite right a very sad story Mike Hawthorn died only a matter of weeks after this event. He was lent the car by Ken Richardson to run a demo Vs Ken Rawlings in Buttercup at the "Ken Wharton Memorial Driving Tests" in Nov 1958. This event was Televised by the BBC although I am yet to see a recording! The event was reported in Autosport of that week.

The Wheel Trims are "Ace Mercury" and where made for Ken Richardson by Cornercroft. They are a fake Knock on in effect with the spinner locating in a central nut.

Iain

Viv sent me a link to a YouTube video of the driver's parade in Melbourne last Sunday. The sidescreen cars start at 6:15, and Viv is driving the backup car at the end.

Well what a massive weekend after last time we had this gig with the sidescreen cars back in 1999.

Saturday morning Ferrari F1 team managers viewed the 27 cars on display and picked mine and another for Alonso and Raikkonen - red cars naturally. Then they came back and selected a back up car. My car ended up being the back up car so I drove around at the rear of the conga line. People in the grandstands were shouting "where's your driver" - I'm shouting back "he fell off". Anyhow we managed to get all the F1 drivers around without too much oil dropped on the track.

After the F1 drivers hopped out, all the photographers crowded around and boxed me in. Off went the other TR's and eventually I had the whole track ahead to myself. What do you do when instructions are to "keep up" - boot it of course !. So alone in front of the main grandstand I flattened it off the starting line and hammered into turn one, then turn two before buttoning off for the exit gate.

Just an amazing once in a lifetime experience.

Incidently we are on the official Ferrari F1 website - apparently very rare for any other make of car to be shown.

Viv