Fitting reversing light

Seeing Ashley's post about fog lights, I have a similar question? I have an old reversing light that I am thinking about fitting to my TR3a. Looking for somewhere to mount it, the best bet seems to be to drill a hole in the bottom (i.e. horizontal} section of the rear bumperette mount.

Is that OK or does it weaken the mount too much to drill a 1/2" dia hole there?

Rgds Ian

PS My house is on an unlit lane and I have to reverse into my drive, so no reversing light isn't really an option.

Edwin - When I was into rallies with my 1958 TR3A, I had a reversing light mounted like you have. Except that mine was a 5" Lucas spot-light - facing rearward. I used it often backing up in narrow rally lanes from 1959 to 1965 when I removed it. I also enjoyed the manual switch I had to turn it on - especially if someone was following me too closely at night with his headlights on high beam.

Below is a photo from 1963 after the Echo Rally where I had a mishap with a fence-post that kept me from going 10 meters down a steep slope into the white water rapids on the Riviere Rouge Road. Look closely - you can just see my 5" back-up light mounted like yours on the top of the rear bumperette.

I took a different line and bought two NOS Wipac stainless flush fitting lamps which fitted really neatly on either side of the number plate, which has a proper stainless steel moulded backing plate, will try to dig out a photo.

I have them switched as a pair from a standard pull switched with an interal earning light

Bill G @ NB

Interesting thread. I have a rectangular reversing light not yet fitted, as I was unsure of the best (most descrete) way.

As my car currently has a Triumph 2000 gearbox (with O/D) fitted it comes with a reversing light switch, which I took the precaution of wiring up befor fitting the gearbox cover, so the wires are there ready to be used - if I fit one !

I am thinking next to the overrider in vertical mode is most descrete, & I would make a bracket to pick up on an existing hole in the overrider mounting.

Bob.

Little off topic: my TR has a J-type OD. I've used the reversel light switch to mount a cut off switch: when selecting reverse with the OD engaged, the cut out switch cuts the current, thus protecting my OD's internals from my foolishness...

Menno

Hi Ian

I mounted a Lucas reversing light under the rear overrider. There is no problem with drilling the bracket and it looked very neat, but a couple of weeks back I drove up a bank and wiped it out, I'm now thinking that Bill Gs solution has a lot going for it, I can't mount it above the overriders as that's where I've put the rear indicators.

[/url]">http://http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/johnhodges/media/TR2/eec791e7-2051-4684-9d51-3d625239e7ba_zps15e50569.jpg.html'>eec791e7-2051-4684-9d51-3d625239e7ba_zps

TR2rearview_zpsbd15ebb8.jpg[/url]

Edited by johnhodges

Thanks to all, job now done, I went for Edwin's solution, the bracket I had with the lamp just fitted straight onto the top overrider bolt and I ran the cable down the inside of the overrider along the support bracket and up through the drain hole for the bottom back box section and thence into the boot to join onto the loom.

I must admit I did wonder about the ground clearance with the 'underneath' option even though it is a lot less 'in your face' than where I have mounted it.

Rgds Ian

My early car came fitted with a pair of Lucas L494 mounted in their side through the over rider sides. Bare in mind when using these that there are two types of fitting. One has the cable through the bottom of the hollow attachment bolt. ( Think this may be the earlier of the two) The second has the cable exit through a grommet in the back of the light body and also the thinner 1/2" stud attachment bolt.

Think I have enough NIB for 2 1/2" pairs, took a couple of years or so to find NOS items.

I have a 4 synchro gearbox that has the switch tappings in the top cover for the reverse lights as well as overdrive.

My lamps are a flat type screwed to the spare wheel lid either side of the number plate.

The main wiring was an addition put in the new loom by Autosparks when I bought it.

Cheers

Peter W

Hi Edwin,

I will try to find a plater to rechrome the over riders to protect the holes. If I have to, perhaps stainless are the way to go if I am to put the car back as it was. The fitment was just a tad crude and the beam from this light on it's side a bit overkill with two of them.

My car is so early that it had a switch and a separate light indication for reverse light, no illuminated switch.

Furthermore the over drive switch was also a toggle flick switch with a separate light when engaged, literally a finger lifted from the steering wheel falls onto the switch and it is a delight to use.

Rod

Edited by Rodbr

hi Edwin,

This is what I found.

NEW regulations on reversing lights came into force on November 1. They require that no vehicle shall carry more than two such lights.

A reversing light must be electric and must be operated either automatically by the selection of reverse gear or by a switch. In a vehicle first registered on or after July 1, 1954, the switch must be exclusively for the reversing light. In other vehicles the switch may have some other function as well.

The total power of each reversing light must not exceed 24W. The light must not dazzle anyone who is standing more than 25 ft. away on the same level as the vehicle and whose eye-level is at least 3 ft. 6 in. from the ground.

In a vehicle first registered after July 1, 1954, and having a switch operated reversing light, a signal readily visible to the driver at all times when he is in his seat must be fitted to warn him that the light is illuminated.

The light must be used only for reversing.

These powers are contained in the Road Vehicles Lighting (Reversing Lights) Regulations, 1953.

Unquote

All I know is that you were breaking the law and considered to be guilty of Dangerous or Reckless driving if you used the light while driving forward. I think that Rally cars got away with it and I suppose what you could do on "private" roads was different to public ones. My Rally Cooper S had a large Lucas fog light fitted for width of beam not long range.

I suppose that ST were using a cheap solution (drill two holes) instead of a additional brackets. have tried numerous solutions but not found the right one yet. either too low, fouls the spare wheel cover, just plain wrong.

More difficult is to buy the correct matching Lucas L 494 lights , one with red fog light lens. There is a real premium on these!

Rod.

Hi Edwin,

A sop to modern driving but fits the original light fitting and saves fitting a third light. With the inadequate classic lighting you may have to avoid fog driving and the blind driver who could potentially run into you from behind. Too late then to order a new back panel for a sides screen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://jollyrogersmotors.com/node/726

see what i mean?????? eeeek!

Cheers

Rod

Edited by Rodbr

I rarely drive late at night, but if I have to reverse and want to see where the ditch is behind me. I stop my TR3A, get out and "slap" a magnetically-held LED light onto the spare wheel cover. When I click the switch on - on the LED lamp, it gives me enough light to see. The lamp is about 3 inches in diameter.

• 10 months later...

I fitted my reverse light again yesterday. the switch panel is not very clear to see but i have mounted it a bit to the back. after i used the edge from the dashboard. To me it looked a bit too much, now more to the back its not that visible.

now looking for a illuminated switch to complete the period looks.

IMG_5128.JPG

IMG_5130.JPG

IMG_5129.JPG

Edited by EdwinTiben