Factory Optional Extras List - Aero Screens

Edwin, from the Netherlands, says "No" to the question Member? And that's fine by me.

On the other hand, jeliison answers "Yes", although the Office states that he has never been a Member. Make of that what you will.

In general, contributors to the Forum try to encourage participation, but if some research is involved, then it is understandable if one goes further for those who are members of the club.

Ian Cornish

I'd have thought that " to preserve the marque TR " meant just that, and without fear or favour.

A concept that in my book would include encouraging any and all competitors.

Evidently not, next thing will we all be needing a funny handshake and one legged pyjamas to consult with the great and the good ?

As for " if some research is involved " . . . . it's a topic that's been well thrashed in years gone by, and hardly an arduous labour for a man of Bill's encyclopaedic knowledge and efficient filing system. Definitive answer off the top of his head more like.

Considerations of the relative positioning of head and fundamental orifice spring to mind . . . . . .

Meanwhile, presumably this exercise demonstrates that access to the 'members only' section of the Forum is open to anyone who simply declares themselves to be such ? Now there's a reassurance of private, as in members-only, discussions . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Edwin, from the Netherlands, says "No" to the question Member? And that's fine by me.

On the other hand, jeliison answers "Yes", although the Office states that he has never been a Member. Make of that what you will.

In general, contributors to the Forum try to encourage participation, but if some research is involved, then it is understandable if one goes further for those who are members of the club.

Ian Cornish

Hi,

Well won't answer with a yes if i'm not a member of the register of course.

Currently i'm not a member of any club. difficult to choose when having multiple cars, so i paused them all..

Hi Edwin,

the forum is open to all. We give our knowledge freely to help fellow TR'ers whether members or not. - that's OK

Jon E didn't ask for archive info he asked the forum as he has done on other occassions. He has also provided info in the past. - that's also OK

Unfortunately his request was passed on for archive info and caused the hic-up. oops!! This should not have happened, but accidents do happen.

The archive resources are for members - which is fair enough.

The forum is open to all.

The club is open to members.

Roger (tin hat at the ready)

Roger

When I read Ian's post last night I was at a loss but decided not to post to see what other people's thoughts where on BP's response. I agree with what Alec and Menno have already said so no need to repeat.

Surely the time, effort and delay it took for this man to check, double check, confirm and await the call back from HQ was a wasted exercise when a simple yes or no or cannot confirm either way would have been simpler.

If it is the case that non members are not afforded the same courtesy as members why allow them to join the forum in the first place ? Personally I would like to see as many members joining and continuing to renew their membership annually to safe guard the clubs future. It seems as of lately there seems to be a certain level of politics/infighting of which I have never got involved or commented on and do not wish to but from an outsider's/non-members point of view it would not seem an inviting club to join at present.

If the same question had been asked by an outsider ( possible future member) at the recent register stand at the NEC would the response have been the same? In this situation it would have been the height of ignorance and just down right rude.

On another posting the costs that are involved in staging these outside events cannot be quantified as they show the register's presence to the general public and encourage membership recruitment. Simple courtesy ie a yes or no would have been a lot cheaper and may have had the same result and we would have a new member.

The foundation of the register/club was to preserve the TR marque and are we now drifting away somewhat from this founding principle.

On another note can anyone now ring HQ and get other peoples ( member or non-member ) personal information relayed to them, surely there is such a thing as the data protection act. Is this another area the club needs to tighten up on legally.

Enough said

John

Hi Roger,

Bill is an author and an enthusiast and a member . . . . he is neither an archivist nor a registrar.

A request to Bill from Jellison is surely in a personal capacity from a TR competitor to a TR author and acknowledged authority.

I'll be damned if I can see where Register membership comes into it.

I'll be damned too if I can see when and where Jellison's membership status becomes a matter for A N Other member, let alone a topic for public debate.

Cheers

Alec

Dog's breakfast indeed.

One might hope, wish, in any club context that relatively youthful competitors might be encouraged by elder statesmen.

The expression of old fart tendencies is, in contrast, an enervating spectacle.

Cheers

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle

Petty and small minded doesn't begin to describe this one. Having read virtually all Piggott's TR books, I can't believe someone with such an enthusiasm for the mark refuses to help someone else who loves these cars. If Club policy is the reason, the Club is getting a bit too big for its elderly boots.

I believe the whole thing about registered membership has blown out of proportion. When I signed-up online in 2012 I must have ticked "yes" to the Registered Member icon as I always do "yes to all" without even reading the TR Reg policy and this was done without malice and my status still displays "Yes" while it's actually "No". Maybe the website admin could do something about it - that is automatically displaying the TR Register Member once the membership fee is paid or otherwise not displaying anything. This said I do not believe that "Jell claim that he is a Member while he is not" is the genuine reason for ignoring his request but I'm not going to speculate about it.

Or maybe...Let's be a bit cheeky here before opening a new topic. For ages I've been looking for a factory rooftop for TR4A Surrey top. Appear sometimes on e-bay and going at ridiculous prices. However I found a little workshop here that could fabricate a new aluminium rooftop at ridiculously low price (5-600 GBP). But to prepare the mold they need the original drawings and dimension of the rooftop. Surely these original drawings and dimensions should be available from the TR Reg archives. Would someone having access to the archives be kind enough to provide a registered-non-registered-member with theses ? To make the matter worse :rolleyes: I discussed pricing with the workshop owner who said that the 1st piece would be the most expensive because it includes the mold, after that the price/unit goes down significantly. Surely other registered and non-registered members of this forum would be interested in benefiting from this if it comes to light one day....

Feedback appreciated.

Or maybe...Let's be a bit cheeky here before opening a new topic. For ages I've been looking for a factory rooftop for TR4A Surrey top. Appear sometimes on e-bay and going at ridiculous prices. However I found a little workshop here that could fabricate a new aluminium rooftop at ridiculously low price (5-600 GBP). But to prepare the mold they need the original drawings and dimension of the rooftop. Surely these original drawings and dimensions should be available from the TR Reg archives. Would someone having access to the archives be kind enough to provide a registered-non-registered-member with theses ? To make the matter worse :rolleyes: I discussed pricing with the workshop owner who said that the 1st piece would be the most expensive because it includes the mold, after that the price/unit goes down significantly. Surely other registered and non-registered members of this forum would be interested in benefiting from this if it comes to light one day....

That was bound to happen: a non member with a relevant question / interesting proposition. :D How to react next...

As far as I can seen, there's one 'party' that hasn't said anything on this matter, despite being mentioned: the Register's spokesperson! Was it a one man's action or is it endorsed by the Register? Personally, I hope that it's not endorsed (and ianc's posting doesn't mention it). For me it would clear a few things!

Menno

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW as a Registrar of the Club for Italias I would have nobody to talk to if I only dealt with Register Members.

My ambition is for all owners of Italias to become Members, and to achieve that I shall share information freely and passionately with anyone who will listen and respond.

Cart. Horse.

• 1 month later...

Will you guys get a serious grip - not looked at this for an age (I have to actually work for a living instead of frequent forums all day).

Alec sums this up, this was a request to the forum.

The fact I have not set my member to not - if you tell me how I'll change it! I was a menber for a very long time. Had TRs for what seems like forever, was a member for maybe 10 - 15 years. But there is only so many time you can read the TR Register mag when you are a racers and it barely has ANY coverage of TR's racing, hence why no longer a member. I am an MG Member - but have to be to race in a certain series, never read the magazine.

Bill P did send me a polite mail informing me that the research for the book he felt was good. But that he no longer had the proof doc's (that frankly is enough for me). He said I could approach a chap in the register to try to dig them out again (if I rejoined). I think I have enough for what I need, to hopefully race my 4 without a roof in a non-fia UK race series (I can race in several Euro series as is!).

Cheers chaps. Lets keep the stress levels done..........