Hi,

Hopefully the pictures I have attached can be seen.

I actually love the look of the white walled tyres on a TR4A especially on a white TR4A (Mine will be painted white after 56% of you voted for that colour as it is the original spec).

Was the white wall an American option only?.

Anyway, Vintage tyres have white wall tyres.

They have a 70mm whitewall (560X15)

http://www.vintagetyres.com/item/240/560-15--560x15--firestone-car-tyre--road--70mm-white-wall

They also have an 'American Classic' with a 20mm white wall. (165SR15 )

http://www.vintagetyres.com/item/706/165sr15-american-classic-car-tyre--road--20mm-white-wall--tl

The TR4A wheel size is 5.5 X 15

It strikes me that the 'American Classic' is the correct tyre for that look?

So, is it the right tyre and does it fit?

Best wishes

Paul.

My 2cents of dissent... white walls look superb on cars from the 50ies with more curvy shapes as the white walls are enhancing the curves. Just take a look at TR3, Austin Healey, Morgan and the like. Not sure about the "edgies" from the 60ies and 70ies with more sharp shapes. Another reason is that the white walls would be at odds with the sporty/macho, somehow more aggressive design of the TR4. An alternative -which I'm still considering- is to paint the spokes rims. For a white TR4 with red hood, satin red - soft, not signal red - or satin black would be an option. And careful while choosing the color of the calipers and drums, this might turn into an esthetic disaster....

In the second post there is a thumbnail pic of a Tr4A. It is a promo shot from the 60s. The car has a 20mm (It looks abut that) white wall? It is a Left Hand Drive Car so I am assuming that this was for the American Market?

I have seen a few 4As with painted wheels. They look cool. I am sticking with chrome for mine.

Best

Paul.

Thanks All. I'm gong to get the tape measure out and double check the wheel size I have.

Best

Paul.

Hi Paul,

bear in mind that you are measuring the net internal width across the bead seat only, where the tyre sits in other words, as opposed to the gross external width of the wheel.

Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but you'd be surprised how many folks are not familiar with this.

Width of an original TR wheel can be 4", 4.5", 5", or 5.5". Forty or fifty years on, it's anybody's guess what is actually on the car !

Cheers

Alec