Slow WIper Action

The windscreen wipers on my TR6 are slow to operate, they park perfectly though !

I know that the wiper spindle boxes are a pig to get at so I thought i would 'ask the experts' before investigating for myself.

The wipers are very reluctant to get going, but improve noticeably after a short while, the OS wiper spindle seems a bit loose with come corrosion apparent on the nut below the wiper arm.

I've previously rebuilt a motor, to sort out the park function on my earlier TR6,but the mechanical parts of the system are less familiar.

so....., where should i start my investigations ??

Steve

PS, contemplating a blast in the winter sunshine today, should be 'interesting' :-)

I have the same problem with my CR, I have replaced the operating wire as the old one had a kink in it but there is hardly any improvement. Mine operate well when hinged back or even with just one blade on the screen at a time but the speed and sweep are pathetic with both blades. Am considering fitting a relay to put a few more volts on the motor. Will watch your post replies with interest.

Pete

Steve,

Quick question, did you grease the wiper box after the rebuild? I ask as I did something similar and packed the box with too much grease of the wrong grade and got exactly the symptoms you describe I.e. Slow to get going but better after a few minutes when everything has warmed up...

Cleared it out and hey presto, much better.

Edited by Ade_TR6

Hi Steve,

as per the previous posts - check the volts at the motor and the grade of grease. The motors are fairly marginal at best, so need everything in their favour.

If the motor is OK then you could disconnect the motor from the drive cable and check the pull force on the cable to see if it is not/too stiff. Their is a value in the WSM.

If it is too stiff then you will need to dismantle the tubes and boxes - this is not too difficult (compared to say building a LHC or the Eifel tower) :P

Remove glove box inner bucket, remove speedo and tacho gauges then go for it.

Use a grease with a very low operating temp (Moly etc)

Roger

Thanks for the tips, esp the glovebox/speedo removal tip Roger !

I was dreading taking the whole dash out, although i do fancy a new dash......

For clarity it was a previous car that i rebuilt the wiper motor on, and it worked very well afterwards.

Took a look at the spindles yesterday and the OS one is very loose and wobbly, but the nut is corroded tight.

Not sure which course of action to take, so shall do nothing for the moment until the day comes when i have nothing better to fix.......

Steve

Try to measure the current drawn by the motor when it's running free out of the car. I found mine was higher than spec.

Tapping the self aligning armature spindle bearing(s) brought it back down. Wipers now start at normal speed instead of taking a while to get going.

Mike.