Filling Wanner grease gun

...or you could simply refill the empty gun (having pulled the chain back) with another grease gun.

The pointy nozzle of the full gun would get to the bottom of the empty chamber - simples

:rolleyes:

:P

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Folks,

just re-read Grahams post #20 and that is how we used to fill them at BEA/BA.

A connector on the gun is attached to a hose from a huge tub that had its own hand crank pump.

A few cranks and 'hey presto' all done

No smarming done at all - shame really.

Roger

• 8 years later...

Reviving this old post because my second hand Wanner arrived today and made this humble engineer happy.

I cleaned and filled as told above, and lubed the trunions, not because it was needed, but because I wanted!

What I noticed it that the head of this quality pump does not leak around the grease nipple, as my other grease guns do. 

Well recommended.

Waldi

Allow me to promote another member (Billy) who sells a couple.
I just noticed that Billy has a couple for sale in the “For sale under 250 pound” section, scroll down to May 13.
For 1/2 the price I paid for mine!
Buy it, you know you want it:)

Waldi

• 11 months later...

Today I had to refill my Wanner…
I pulled back and locked the chain (so far so good), but then removed the wrong side, the end-cap side.

The spring then bends and you will not notice there is actually a “plain metal pusher”, fitted to the chain and a separate rubber seal, which does not come out.

I did some arm-wrestling but did not get it to work.
Very very messy.
Then I figured out what I did wrong so now all good. Lesson learnt here.

So always open the head, not the chain/bottom side.
Otherwise you will look like me.

4f8c7aeb-d13c-4e59-ba6c-2a6fcddced85.jpeg

Edited by Waldi
27 minutes ago, Waldi said:

I pulled back and locked the chain (so far so good), but then removed the wrong side, the end-cap side.

Hello Waldi,

Yep, been there and done that.

I bought my Wanner just for the trunions and  filling the steering box.

I didn't realize that they had such a following until I read this thread.

Charlie.

Mine has a grease nipple in the head (the Wanner, not me!), so if you have a 2nd larger gun/pump you can refill without opening too. But I don’t have one with the correct (MoS2) grease.

Waldi

17 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

Hello Waldi,

Charlie.

I’m glad I’m not the only one Charly:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Charlie D said:

Hello Waldi,

Charlie.

Where do you fill your steering box through?

I have just “copped a job” to create a few steering box filler plugs tapped to accept grease nipples.   I have a couple of spare steering box lid oil filler caps ( the ones that are not used to fill a   TR steering box, but are there to tease the uninitiated)   So off we go!

I have seen Daimler Darts with the side of the steering box drilled and tapped with a grease nipple fitted, Easy access to fill through the wheel arch then… but to my mind the steering box will need to be empty to get any swarf out from the drilling and tapping process.  I guess it was done when the box was overhauled.  

I have just ordered a replacement flexible hose and 4 claw socket for my  ancient Wanner grease gun.   Just hope I have figured out the threads or more work will follow.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hello Peter,

I put a grease nipple in the steering box filler plug that you mention, and use a flexible hose on the gun.

To use it I take the grill off (3A, used wellnuts, not spirenuts,  to fix it), and remove the hardboard air deflector (home made, fixed by one screw).

Fairly quick job.

Charlie

1 hour ago, Charlie D said:

Hello Peter,

I put a grease nipple in the steering box filler plug that you mention, and use a flexible hose on the gun.

To use it I take the grill off (3A, used wellnuts, not spirenuts,  to fix it), and remove the hardboard air deflector (home made, fixed by one screw).

Fairly quick job.

Charlie

Thanks