After a shortish run (10miles) I find that the water pump bolt at the front is very very hot.

I also notice that the dynamo is hot (too hot to touch for long)and also (what I would term) excessive heat is transferred to the fat fan belt.

Is this normal?

Normal. Assume you have an 88 degree thermostat. Now try dipping a finger in water at 88 degrees. Actually, don't do that.

Edited by peejay4A

What I find strange is that the front end of the water pump pulley (the nut end) is only about 'x' inches from the radiator so it should be getting cool air passing over it. Secondly when I touch my main cars alternator and especially its fan belt - it is cool to the touch. The belt is ambient temperature.

Is this really right that the dynamo on the TR4 should be too hot to touch?

Both dynamo and water pump will get pretty hot, yes.

Do check the belt tension . . . . if it is too tight then you will put an additional load on the bearings, dynamo and pump alike, which will generate extra heat and knacker both units !

Cheers

Alec

Haynes say 3/4 of an inch,...i run mine between 3/4 and i inch,never less,..

if you are running with 1/2" you could be asking for trouble with your dynamo and your pump beariings,

regards Terry

There you go nice slack belt may halp.

If you take the field connection off the dyno it wont do anything electrical.

So any heat will be coming from the engine.

The ignition will be discharging the battery but this wont matter for 15mins or so.

Fan belt tension is perfect, it's actually 1/2" either way making it a total of 1" along its longest length. We've wandered off topic a little. What are your front extremity of the water pump and the dynamo temperatures like please chaps - simples!

Fan belt tension is perfect, it's actually 1/2" either way making it a total of 1" along its longest length. We've wandered off topic a little. What are your front extremity of the water pump and the dynamo temperatures like please chaps - simples!

I wouldnt want to put my hands anywhere near after a hard run.

Stuart.