Fog + spot two-lamp systems -- original wiring/switching/rationale?

Way back in the day it wasn't uncommon to have a single fog lamp and a single driving (spot) lamp mounted on the front of cars like our sidescreen TRs. The pencil-beam driving light on the drivers side and the fog light on the passenger side, if one believes the literature of the period.

Having two different auxiliary lamps was not done by the time I started paying attention to cars in the mid-late 60s. I'm not sure how common it was in America at all -- certainly in southeastern Ohio bordering Appalachia where I grew up it wasn't seen.

How were the two lamps typically wired in to the system? Two switches for independent operation? One switch to allow either/or operation? Did people run both lights simultaneously? And why did they do it this way -- to maximize the real estate on the front of the car? --to save costs in accessories? --to minimize added loads to the electrical system?

from page 5 of the Standard Triumph Accessories catalog from September 1956 in my collection:

i-dJPFJmD-L.jpg

Hi Don,

Just removed this set up as it looked awful, but I think down to being mounted too high. Lucas SLR 700 7" lights.

To answer your question I seem to remember that although separately switched they were used together with the idea being that the spot would light the side of the road in the middle distance and the foglight light foreground closer to the car and lower down.

I think they were both powered via a relay from dip beam live power. My father had them fitted to his works supplied Singer Gazelle.

FWIW My early TR2 had the rear reversing lights fitted as per your page from the accessory catalogue. A bit strange as the Lucas L494 lights produce a flat beam which becomes a vertical beam when fitted this way.

Rgds

Rod

I remember when fog lights were mounted low below the bumper to penetrate the shallow layer of clear air where the heat from the road would lift thick fog by a foot or two and you could creep home hugging the kerb slowing right down when you heard someone coming the other way. The Highway Code used to mention 100 yards but since the 1980s fog lights have been some sort of nasty "look at me" style statement such that manufacturers now call them running lights and changed them to those God awful LEDs.

As for the rear ones that the MLOC feel fit to use in heavy rain ... :angry:

Amazingly I just logged onto the forum to ask this very same question!! I wondered about having two spots/two fogs or one of each and the authenticity of either approach. The uprated electrical system I guess will cope with it no worries... but any other thoughts?

I guess if I go with two of each then setup is spots in the middle and fogs either side?

Also Moss (and I'm sure others) do something Angel Eye lights... I hadn't realised these were 'classic' they seem a bit jazzy to me but am intrigued. Is it purely for show or do they serve a function?

Anyone recommend specific lights/lamp bars that I should look at? Ths Moss options look pretty good.

Thanks

Edited by AtLast

The correct way to wire up spot lamps is via the main beam terminal on the dip switch so that the lamp is extinguished when you dip the headlamps. The Construction and Use regulations stated that spot lamps should be at the same height as the headlights viz: the centre of the bulb should be a minimum of 24" from the road level.

Any light mounted below that specified in the Regulations may only be used in "Fog and Falling Snow". Will someone please tell those wallies driving their euroboxes with their "look at me" low level lights on. :angry:

Hope this helps.

Tom. :)

Edited by Fireman049