When the engine is cold, running idle the oil pressure gauge reads about just over the 50.

When the car runs for about 20 minutes the reading is the same.

After about an hour the the reading seems normal (low pressure) when idle or running slow,

when runing the pressure is just over the 50.

I always thaught that with an cold engine an running idle a low pressue is normal.

thanks Rob.

TR4A '66
Edited by TrRob

Ashley is correct - 90 is too high and there is a risk that oil seals will blow.

70 is what the book says, and one should stick to that as a maximum.

It's oil FLOW that really matters because it is the flow which takes the heat from the bearings and dumps it in the sump. I'm quite happy to see an oil pressure of 50-60 when the engine has warmed up and I'm motoring briskly.

Ian Cornish

Mine is also about 60 @ 2500 rpm when well warmed up but 65 to 70 for first 30-50 mins depending on speed. Driven on A/B roads at speeds up to 55 can take over an hour to be warmed up completely but after an hours stop for lunch its back at 70 for first. 1/2 hr , whereas using motorways at speeds up to 75 it can be warmed through in 30 mins. Fully warmed up tickover at 800/900 rpm is 25/30. Engine has done nearly 5000 since rebuild 16 months ago.

Summer may fix it ?

Summer may fix it ?

You're optimistic!

It's simple enough to undo the lock nut on the oil pressure relief valve, screw it out half a turn, try it and if it's still high, try another half.

Somewhere around 60-70 at around 2000 is fine, you can't be that accurate because all the gauges aren't.

Wayne

If you look just behind the distributor at the top of the oil filter housing you'll see a big lock nut and a stud going through it with a screw driver slot in the top. However if you're non technical best take to someone who is to sort it because a mistake could be expensive.

They all respond differently so its really a case of mark it before you start and make a note of how far you turn the screw. As Ash has said unscrew to lessen and screw in to increase. You need to use a ring spanner on the nut and dont forget to lock the nut off after you have finished. All measurements must be done hot.

Stuart.