inner wingproblem

I need an inner wing for the repairer made a short cut of the job of fitting another inner wing from a donor car, you can see this by the extra corrosion present, the fantastic welding job, and a holey

leading edge.

No luck so far in getting hold of another, also which is the best SMALL mig (With gas) welder to buy for bodywork only?

P1020227_zps241fabf2.jpgP1020228_zps6ad753eb.jpg

P1020229_zpsb2c2421d.jpg

Hi Pete,

I use a Clarke 150 that uses a small gas bottle. The Clarke is not everybodies favourite but simple to use and does work. Not for professionals though.

The small bottles are expensive for what you get but will do your job many times over. gas available in CO2, CO2+Argon, or Argon (for welding TRiremes).

Read the web link previously listed to see how it all works.

Assuming they are not available in the shops, can't you make a new one. It is relatively flat with a few depressions.

Has the office got an original Stanpart that a template could be made from.

Roger

You will use these disposable bottles up pretty quickly.

I fitted mine with a regulator and BOUGHT a bottle.

This gets refilled by my local man. This works well and is cheap.

But you can't buy bottles anymore only rent them fo £20pa.

This pays for "pressure-testing".

Hi Peter ~

I've had my SIP 120 'Ideal' MiG welder since the very early 80's and it's never let me down. I wouldn't be without it ever.

I use Co2 gas which is easily available and works perfectly. Your local Public House may 'lend' you a cylinder? I currently pay £10. for a refill from my local Fire Protection company.

Before the MiG I used oxy-acetylene welding equipment but this was more of a hassle in trying to get the cylinders exchanged.

For seized bolts etc. I use a 32Lb. LPG cylinder and torch.

Hope this helps.

Best regards ~

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

Two votes for SIP then.

Mine has rebuilt three cars, the TR required a huge amount of welding.

It can do 1/8in bar stock easily. It makes a fair job in 1/2in thick stuff on top range.

At the other end the thinest, rusty stuff can be picked up and stuck to something.

The only fault is that you always need the wire feed set well down. The control range goes too high.

The feed-rate adjusts automatically to follow the current range selected, so this is not really a problem.

I've always used ArgonShield gas, £25 quid at current rates would weld most of a whole restoration. Maybe you would need two fills.

So gas is an almost trivial cost.

Hi Peter,

Just an observation from your pictures, I know my knowledge is pretty basic but I think you may have to rethink the positioning of your Dynamo ;):wacko:

"I use Co2 gas which is easily available and works perfectly. Your local Public House may 'lend' you a cylinder? I currently pay £10. for a refill from my local Fire Protection company.I use Co2 gas which is easily available and works perfectly. Your local Public House may 'lend' you a cylinder? I currently pay £10. for a refill from my local Fire Protection company."

An Argon CO2 mix is better for welding thin material if you are new to welding.

Rgds Ian

I think you would be disappointed with the new type SIP ones, you would be better off with something like a Murex, Kempi or Arcos Lincoln or Oxford type, There are a few on Ebay at the moment.

Stuart.