TR4A headlight flasher ?

It's so long since I had a 4A on the road - I don't recall it not having a headlight flasher, but the wiring diagram suggests that it doesn't.

If it has, I want to incorporate a dipswitch in the flasher when I get round to the electrics. If it hasn't, is there a suitable column switch that can be used in lieu ? The idea being to include a relay so that the pull-towards motion works as the dipswitch when the lights are on, and flasher when they're off.

Can't abide those old foot dipswitches on a manual car, just about bearable with an auto.

The standard stalk has a contact that that activates heads when you pull it.

Its a fairly poor thing and liable to break, But would be easy to fix.

But you will need to convert this to a "latching-action" or you would need to keep pulling.

You can do this with some simple electronics but doing it all by electro-mechanics will be quite hard. Don't think can do with ordinary relays.

Now its up to some ingenious sod to prove me wrong.

Al.

I have never seen a standard TR4A with a headlamp flasher and as you say the wiring diagram in the Handbook does not show one.

It looks like a column flasher switch was fitted to TR6's after 1973.

This is a column lighting switch with flasher facility, visually quite simliar to the TR6 type but listed to fit a Triumph 1300.

Now surplus to my needs.

1lightingswitchwithheadlampflash.jpg

Regards, Richard

My 4A has the original column mounted chrome lighting stalk on left of steering wheel.

This includes a flasher facility whether the lights are on or off by pulling the stalk towards you which self returns when you let go.

Dip is via a foot switch.

All works fine but it is easy to knock the lights on by mistake.

The 4A does have a flasher as standard - pull the lighting stalk to activate.

It would be possible to use this to give a main beam using electronics or a latching relay (VWP).

You would need another standard relay to change the circuit for day/night driving to enable the flasher.

Roger

You could do it like my Ford Mondeo.

When you put headlights on then the Dip-beam is always on.

When you pull the stalk the Main-beam comes on.

You have to pull it right back to lock the main on and I rarely do. Mostly I just hold it for the few seconds before someone comes towards me.

Maybe elsewhere you can drive about with Main-beam latched on. But not round here.

Al.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Oh yes, the conversion's very easy to do, I did it on a 3.4 Jaguar - ingenious sod hereby proving you wrong, Alan T ! You just need the correct alternating Hella relay off something like an XJ6, then one flick for dip, another flick for main. Wires go to the relay instead of the foot switch, still works as a headlight flasher in daylight.

If anyone's interested I'll dig out and post the details of exactly how to do it.

Thanks for the offer of that switch, RAH, I'll go and have a look at mine - may not even have one in the boxes of bits !

Edited by Superaquarama

Hi Superaqurama,

I have designed an electronic circuit that allows you to combine the headlamp flasher function on the lighting stalk with a dip switch function using a relay to switch from Dip to Main. In effect it flashes the headlamps as per normal unless you hold the stalk in flash mode for more than 0.5 seconds when it switches to main beam. To switch back, you just pull the stalk as if to flash and it will switch to Dip. At present this is based on a microcontroller, but I am redesigning it for a simpler circuit that could be easily built.

TT

Umm Roger, I've been out in the garage to-day and my TR4A definitely does not have a headlight flasher function on the lighting stalk. I've also checked in my handbook and there is no reference to it there either.

I did have a very late 1972 TR6 many years ago and there WAS a headlight flash function on that.

Does anyone know whether the flashy TR6 stalk can be fitted into the 4A column/cowl arrangement as a relatively easy retrofit?

Saggy.

Saggy,

Perhaps your car has been fitted with a TR4 switch at some time. The TR4A should have a headlamp flasher built into the switch.

Cheers

Graeme

Sounds good, Tony, I imagine my Hella relay conversion is simpler but less versatile. The relay works a bit like railway points, if you like - every time it's activated it goes to the opposite side from where it was before, thus bridging different contacts.

I've had a look through my boxes of bits awaiting assembly and don't seem to have a light switch at all, so will get the correct item and ensure it has the flasher facility. Thanks for the offer of the 1300 switch, RAH but, as they're available, I may as well get the correct item with the chrome stalk.

Again, thanks for the help on this, everyone.

Anthony

Edited by Superaquarama

TT

That sounds like a great idea, any chance you could make a few extras to sell? I for one would like one, fumbling around the footwell is a right pain.

Cheers Carl