Making your own?

After looking at steering wheels for quite a while I couldn't find one that I wanted.

I have an original wheel but the rim isn't the best, pretty much what you would expect after few years. A repair is very expensive too.

Having had a woodrim and a leather Motolita, but good as they are, its just not quite right. So.

I put the angle grinder through the 3 sets of 4 spokes at the outer rim, bought a half inch length of stainless steel round bar, and went to the ring bending factory in

Manchester.

They have made me a perfect 14 inch diameter O/D, ring. I have made the horn and spokes fit into the ring and will get it welded in tomorrow.

The trimmer is to cover it with some sort of hard sponge material, before applying the leather. It will be 14.5 inches diameter, and the rim about 1" diameter just

about an inch smaller than the standard item. BTW to make a rim from Nylon/plastic on the printer is 30Pence per gramme, which exceeded the budget!

The leather bit is something beyond my ability, does anyone know if there are varying types of leather? and which one is best please.

Also has the TR4 registrar got another Email address I have tried twice to contact him in the last two weeks without success.

At CLM I met someone who had made his wood rimmed wheel from scratch. He'd taken an ali plate, cut out the chassis (for want of a better word), made two wooden rings and fixed them with rivets. He'd stained the wood in a very classy satin black and the whole job looked the dogs.

Guess the time spent must have been huge, but the cost maybe not too much.

Altogether very impressive,

I'm sure that yours will look great Pete and hope you post some photos when it's finished!

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm T

Actually like me, he has only made a new rim. And retained the original stainless-steel wire spokes and hub.

I had three castings made in alloy to pick up the spokes and retain the original shape.

About the leather. You will of course need something thin and stretchy. I was watching a Youtube clip about stretching leather to cover odd shapes.

You soften it with a mixture of alcohol, detergent and somthing else.

Al.

Actually like me, he has only made a new rim. And retained the original stainless-steel wire spokes and hub.

I had three castings made in alloy to pick up the spokes and retain the original shape.

About the leather. You will of course need something thin and stretchy. I was watching a Youtube clip about stretching leather to cover odd shapes.

You soften it with a mixture of alcohol, detergent and somthing else.

Al.

Were the castings you made to hold the spokes at the rim end? and if so, were they left exposed after your rim was completed, and what sort of rim did you fit.

Trying to pick up ideas before I go too far, would be good to see a pic or two Alan?

Pete