Rennstrecke Solitude

I've just come across this, another old road racing circuit.

After doing LeMans, Reims-Gueux and Rouen-les-Essarts, I've been looking for another to visit.

And even better, they closed the road last year for an "OldTImers" celebration, so you can drive it without looking in the mirror for die Polizei. But you can drive the circuit at other times - they are public roads now.

This video includes two Spitfires of the Swiss Racing Team at the 2011 event:

plus AH3Ks, MGAs, Jag D-type, Elan, etc, a solitary TR2 and every other Euro-exotic you can think of.

In-car video with the Swiss shows some uninhibited driving, clearly on closed roads, I presume around the old Solitude circuit, although the famous Merc/BMW oval tower isn't seen.

Anyone attend this? Is it annual? Can anyone enter, or is it 'by invitation' like Goodwood?

Chris MadMarx? Do you know this event?

Solitude is at Stuttgart, nearly 200miles from Spa or the 'Ring, but what a round trip!

(270 miles/440kms/ 5 hours, according to my route finder! Do it in a weekend!)

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Thank you, Alec! Looking good!

Chris, that video didn't look like 'guided driving' behind a pace car! It looked full blooded to me!

I last did 'parade laps' at Le mans six years ago, and even then things were getting so crowded that only hanging back with a 'misfire' got one a good run. I haven't bothered again. This looks more hopeful, although like almost all the road circuits this closed down because it just was too dangerous, so it wouldn't be ten-tenths.

John

Chris, that video didn't look like 'guided driving' behind a pace car! It looked full blooded to me!

Hmm...for a race I'm missing the overtaking maneuvers.

And no car seems to be at the limit of grip. So I think...they are driving reasonably fast far away from being on race speed.

Anyway....should be fun, at least.

Better than my piston cracking slalom ride.

Cheers

Chris

I'm interested, Chris, in 'experiencing' these old road circuits. Been to Rheims-Geuex, which is distinctive in that the old grandstands and pits survive, the former in an un-safe state, but with the roads largely intact. And Rouen-Les Essarts, which has lost all its facilities and some of its roads, but has retained one of the most formidable hairpins, downhill and with its orginal 'pave' surface, Virage de Nouveau Monde. The 'Ring, of course. Le Mans, I'm sure you know. There are others, but if you can run at Solitude on closed roads, even though not actually racing, that will add to the pleasure and interest.

I've also 'collected' and raced at, all the existing UK Grand Prix circuits and some European ones like Monza and Zandvoort. Spa next, I hope.

Reading the history of these circuits, old and new, and going there, gives you insight into that world (that is no longer there thank godness!) when lives in motorsport were short and merry. To know about their history lets you drive them in a way that is more than just learning the track.

John

Edited by john.r.davies

To have a go on all tracks is a very good idea.

The Triumph Competition (D) will have a go each year on a new track. Next year Donington and Le Mans is on the plan.

The year after other tracks.....will be exiting.

Especially the eastern tracks with the nice chickens.

To have a go on all tracks is a very good idea.

The Triumph Competition (D) will have a go each year on a new track. Next year Donington and Le Mans is on the plan.

The year after other tracks.....will be exiting.

Especially the eastern tracks with the nice chickens.

CLUCK CLUCK CLUCK :D:D

I don't know why, maybe has something to do with the on coming end of days but we never had more entries than for the next season. And so early before the season. Well they have not signed all but we are running straight to 25 entrants with 12 TR4s. Amazing isn't it?

Just had a rapid reply from Bernd Shüppel, the Entrants Manager, saying that he would be glad to put my request before the "Jury" that invigilates entries. I've sent him a short history of my car and some pics. Watch this space!

John

Edited by john.r.davies
  • 4 weeks later...

And the Jury has found me guilty of owning a suitable car to enter Solituderennen!

The event is on the 19-21st July.

Anyone else fancy the trip?

Chris, please tell again when you and your colleagues will be at Donnington. The CSCC is there on the 25/5th August.

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Scouting around the 'Net for info on Solitude, I found this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubPXFi1I_Do

Starts with ordinary helicopter shots of the track at the Revival meeting.

But then!

Just before one minute in, you see the aircraft, and it's not your conventional helicopter!

And then at 1:13, it's even weirder brother!

They allow a unique style of film of the event.

JOhn

Edited by john.r.davies
Chris, please tell again when you and your colleagues will be at Donnington. The CSCC is there on the 25/5th August.

John

Hi John,

we are together with CSCC at Donington.

25th August.

Seems that many Germans will enter the united kingdom to enter this race (we think/hope between 20 - 35 cars)

Cheers

Chris

Edited by MadMarx

Interesting video, John.

My oldest brother is a very good, experiented models builder and pilot, I'll show him this "helicopter".

• 4 weeks later...