Clamp-on mirror

Hi, I want to fit a clamp-on mirror (or two) on my TR2, it is the black one posted on the Irish Register Facebook page, mostly so I wont take a lump out of it when parking in my single garage! Can anyone recommend one that clamps to the side of the screen stanchions, it's hard to work out which ones will fit from photos, so a model and supplier would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

I currently have this one from Holden Classic on the 3A :

MirrorsTR.jpg

It clamps onto the screen stanchion with two allen screws . . . (however be aware that it won't allow for use of the sidescreens, and is therefore purely a fair weather set up). Good luck.

Cheers, Deggers

Edited by Deggers

No, not at the moment, but... I do have his phone number. If you like, I will give him a call tomorrow. It's an older gentleman, who's not to experienced with internet and pics. I'll ask him if he has any pics. Another solution is that I'll ask him to send me a mirror, take a pic of it and post it here.

To be continued!

Menno

As Niall says, one main reason for the mirror is so I can park in my "matchbox garage" without scratching my very expensive paintwork, which means I will also want one on the off-side, the type that fit the stanchion screws sound interesting and would be handed, I am guessing? The clamping type worries me from the issue of marking the chrome (also very expensive)

Hi John

If it's clearance in the garage you have, then go for one like mine I made for my TR3A which locks into the sidescreen mounting bracket via the Dzus fixing, and comes off that easy when going in and coming out. Also only good for dry days as it stops the fitting of the sidescreen, but then take it off and do without it when it's raining, also when you park, remove it and put it into the boot to stop light fingered people from removing it for you.

There was another member who did the same thing with the old type wedge bracket which works equally as well, which he needed for continental travel.

I didn't like the clamp on type as it gave a wobbly image in the mirror, whereas mine in rock steady at any speed.

Dave

I made one for the LHS of my 1958 TR3A which is left hand drive. Putting one on the right side here in Canada can not let me see anything on the far side with such a tiny mirror mounted way over there.

Also mine has a slight limitation because the sidecurtain interferes when I open the TR door when the sidecurtain in mounted. But then I'm a sunny weather TR driver so it's of no importance to me.

Mine is held onto a chromed plate I made and bent with a zig-zag and the mirror is secured by an acorn nut. A simple wrench will loosen the acorn nut to take it off. IT is very accessible. I have a 14 foot wide garage door so that's not my problem. Once it's in the garage (stored for the winter) I keep bumping into the protruding mirrior when I try to squeeze between my work bench and the TR - so I remove it for the winter.

BTW, the photo with the sidecurtain shows a mirror support stem of a wing mirror for the RHS of a car, but I'm using it on the LHS with a convex mirror for a wider view to the rear.

Since my TR3A is a very early one (TS 27489 LO) the Dzus fasteners for my stanchions are real Dzus items - not like the post-60000 TRs where the stanchions are secured wuth threaded Dzus bolts.

Edited by Don Elliott

I met someone at the last international who had designed and had made a small quantity of laser cut tenon plates which featured a forward extension onto which a mirror could be mounted. He had a few for sale at approx £40 each. Maybe he reads the forum and could provide more info. From memory the forward extenion was about halfway up the stanchion. The tenon plate was about 1 - 1.5mm thick stainless

Steve

Here's mine:

P1030643-1.jpg

And here are the pics Jac's son sent me of his father's latest product; as you can see, Jac has come up with a RH version as well. He sells these items - don't know the exact price, but I'm sure not too expensive. He never asks much for his items.

IMG_19271.jpg

IMG_19281.jpg

IMG_19341.jpg

Edited by Menno van Rij

It's very good of you Menno to go to all the trouble of finding out about this Dzus mirror and posting the photos. I would be very interested in purchasing one of these. The morror is well positioned and yet out of the way. It can be removed very easily and not probably something to be left on while the car is parked somewhere. Nonetheless it is well worth having and I, and I am sure several others, would be very grateful if you would post the seller's contact details if he doesn't mind. I am sure he will do a bit of business.

Thanks for going to all this trouble, Menno.

Regards,

Martin

No problem. Jac (as in 'Jacques') isn't into computers etc. He's a older gentleman who prefers to stay off the electronic highway. Even a note he wrote to me in Dutch was written in an old fashioned but very classy style. It was his son who took the pics and contacted me by email. I sent him a reply and asked him to take pics of all his father's goodies/add ons/inventions for the TR series. I've suggested a Photobucket page. We'll see what happens in the near future.

Regarding the mirror: what I can do ( and have done for other forum members): I can call him and ask him about the price. I can post the price including shipment here on the forum and then you can decide if it's still something you want to buy. I don't need to make any money out of it.

I'll call him tomorrow if you like.

Menno

Here's something he did a few years back:

The A/R bar for my 3A - the steel for the bar is from a Suzuki

P1010676.jpg

Boot rack, here not chromed (yet); Jac gives his customers the choice of chroming / powder coating

P1020968.jpg

The ingenious attachment between the rack and the lock of the 3A boot

P1020970.jpg

Edited by Menno van Rij

There is another, simpler approach that doesn't involve drilling or screwing and is compatible with sidescreens.

After a year trying various clamp on mirrors (and losing one onto the road surface) I tried a different approach.

Go into Halfords and get one of the small mirrors that attach with a sucker- I bought a "Summit Child View" mirror. (You can view Halfords' offerings on the web.) Fit it in the bottom right hand corner of your screen and adjust it to look over your right shoulder. Works sidescreen on and off without adjustment, and if you are a concoursee it comes off in a trice. Ideal for watching the blind spot.

Cheap too.

Phil