Relocate a Bosch pump?

I've had a long term problem with the running of my CR '6' when the weather is hot.

It started back in April, lovely sunny day +26 & after 20 miles she packed up with the pump screeching.

PO had installed a Revington Bosch pump kit with a fuel tap at the base of the tank & a pre-filter.

Consensus of opinion was overheating of pump & fuel strangulation + pump was wired up using the old wiring from the Lucas pump.

Had the Bosch pump wired up correctly & all was well until last weekend, she didn't stop altogether, just spluttered home after a short run out in the hot weather.

I removed all the stuff from the boot, spare wheel went, wheel board went, carpet, jack & everything went in the garage, took her out & a perfect 25 mile run with no issues at all, it seems that with 'air' & space in the boot she's ok. The pump was hot all over, I assume this is ok?

Point of this thread is............speaking to TRGB, they recomend the following:

• remove fuel tap
  • remove in-line filter (they have a better one available)
  • refit pump under the rear wheel arch (cooler)

I haven't found anyone who's relocated the pump 'outside', mine sits in the spare wheel well tucked up in the corner where I assume most have been put.

I've got no problems discarding the fuel tap & the filter, but relocation intrigues me....is there space under the rear wheel arch???

Appreciate all your thoughts.

Nick.

Yep been there. My TR5 and a couple of my 6's had the pump here, also the PRV located on chasis rail.

Good spot and no problems with heat.

Also get a bit of space back in the boot and makes maintenance of pump etc easy. Obviously changes to pipework.

Dont understand why the filter should be an issue unless its not got a decent enough flow (I've used Fiat Punto one when I made my own kit without issue). The issue with the tap is probably the diameter of the pipe into it and the diameter inside the tap itself.

Anyway in summary not a problem to do and is defo cooler on chassis on outside of wheelarch,. BTW shouldnt be affected by weather as most moderns have a pump exposed to elements.

Good luck

Yep been there. My TR5 and a couple of my 6's had the pump here, also the PRV located on chasis rail.

Good spot and no problems with heat.

Also get a bit of space back in the boot and makes maintenance of pump etc easy. Obviously changes to pipework.

Dont understand why the filter should be an issue unless its not got a decent enough flow (I've used Fiat Punto one when I made my own kit without issue). The issue with the tap is probably the diameter of the pipe into it and the diameter inside the tap itself.

Anyway in summary not a problem to do and is defo cooler on chassis on outside of wheelarch,. BTW shouldnt be affected by weather as most moderns have a pump exposed to elements.

Good luck

Thanks Robin. The issue TRGB had with the filter is they reckon it restricts the flow of fuel, although this is only apparent when the weather is hot. I drove the car home 100+ miles last November & didn't miss a beat, totally different in hot weather!

Can you be a tad more specific on where exactly the pump has to be fitted inside the wheelarch? I'm thinking it'll be a tad tight under there?

Thanks again.

Nick.

I have seen the pump fitted on the n/s/rear chassis rail, mine is in the spare wheel well and didn't give any problems two years ago with 40deg at 2010Le Mans classic. So would try the easier changes first.

Regards

Derek

Edited by Damson6

The recommended place is the outside of the spare wheel well when fitting outside. Basically opposite to the fitting when inside the spare whell well. the pump and filter are bolted on and if you have a pre filter as well that will need to go inside the wheel well. Sorry dont have a pic as my current motor is on the Lucas demon pump....

If you are looking in your empty boot, you have the wheel well, and two upstands each side.

It is fitted underneath the left one.

If you need a photo i will try and take one tomorrow.

Cheers

Guy

Took a snap inside boot, the pump and filter are suspended on the bracket, you can see the two nuts.

DSC_0339.jpg

In the wheel well you might just spot the "bullet" tank filter.

Hope the above helps a little

Edited by JerseyRoyal2

Since the fuel flows straight through the middle of the pump, the fuel should do the cooling so the inside or outside position of the pump should make no difference. If the pump is getting hot then no fuel is passing. Make sure you have return flow via the PRV. If there is no flow the pump is not up to the job.

I have had several bad experiences with pre filters, most of the stuff on the market is inadequate when new, a dose of **** in the filter just makes it worse. I have actually found the original CAV filter is perfectly adequate for the Bosch pump, even if people say the pipe sizes are too small, and since one comes with the car as standard it might as well be used. I suspect the tap may be a major source of restriction, especialy if it has a rust flake stuck in it!

If you are looking in your empty boot, you have the wheel well, and two upstands each side.

It is fitted underneath the left one.

If you need a photo i will try and take one tomorrow.

Cheers

Guy

Took a snap inside boot, the pump and filter are suspended on the bracket, you can see the two nuts.

DSC_0339.jpg

In the wheel well you might just spot the "bullet" tank filter.

Hope the above helps a little

I'd suggest there's more to cooling the pump than just the fuel flow . . . . . all the German cars I've ever owned with relatively powerful engines fuelled by a Bosch pump supplying K or L Jetronic injection, as original equipment, featured the pump mounted on an effective heat sink and with an airflow between the pump and its protective covering. And, need I add, mounted as low as possible to achieve maximum head of fuel, even if a tank lift pump was also in the system.

My expectation of a Bosch pump on Jetronic is 100K miles minimum - which is rather different from all I've heard of TR installation service life.

Cheers,

Alec

hi jersey royal 2 do you know what make or what car the blue pre filter is and prv your using

Hi

The PRV is the diphragm type available from Prestige Injection or Revington Tr.

http://prestigeinjection.net/

http://www.revington...ductID=RTR4456K

The blue tank filter

http://www.fuelsystem.co.uk/

http://www.fuelsyste....uk/filters.pdf

Cheers

GUY

Edit Abve PRV

I have the Prestige Prv and its been fitted for many years with out issue.

There are differences between Prestige and Rtr Prvs, mainly that the Rtr one (which is new to Rtr) comes with a bracket and bobbin which allows the unit

to be mounted at an angle, this angle makes it easier to adjust than the Prestige. I have just fitted the Rtr version in a mates Tr6, no problems, you will of course need to adjust the fuel pressure witha gauge at the MU. Rtr will loan out a pressure gauge for that purpose.

Edited by JerseyRoyal2

I'd suggest there's more to cooling the pump than just the fuel flow . . . . . all the German cars I've ever owned with relatively powerful engines fuelled by a Bosch pump supplying K or L Jetronic injection, as original equipment, featured the pump mounted on an effective heat sink and with an airflow between the pump and its protective covering. And, need I add, mounted as low as possible to achieve maximum head of fuel, even if a tank lift pump was also in the system.

My expectation of a Bosch pump on Jetronic is 100K miles minimum - which is rather different from all I've heard of TR installation service life.

Cheers,

Alec

Is that because the Jetronic Bosch system runs at a lot lower pressure (Jetronic - 60 -70 psi) than the Lucas system?. (Lucas - 95 -110 psi)

Cheers

Peter

Is that because the Jetronic Bosch system runs at a lot lower pressure (Jetronic - 60 -70 psi) than the Lucas system?. (Lucas - 95 -110 psi)

Cheers

Peter

Yes.Poor things are working their nuts off ;)

Stuart.

I have seen the pump fitted on the n/s/rear chassis rail, mine is in the spare wheel well and didn't give any problems two years ago with 40deg at 2010Le Mans classic. So would try the easier changes first.

Thanks Derek, mine's in the wheel well & fitted by previous owners garage bod, all works well in cool weather but not hot weather.

Regards

Derek

The recommended place is the outside of the spare wheel well when fitting outside. Basically opposite to the fitting when inside the spare whell well. the pump and filter are bolted on and if you have a pre filter as well that will need to go inside the wheel well. Sorry dont have a pic as my current motor is on the Lucas demon pump....

as above

Since the fuel flows straight through the middle of the pump, the fuel should do the cooling so the inside or outside position of the pump should make no difference. If the pump is getting hot then no fuel is passing. Make sure you have return flow via the PRV. If there is no flow the pump is not up to the job.

I have had several bad experiences with pre filters, most of the stuff on the market is inadequate when new, a dose of **** in the filter just makes it worse. I have actually found the original CAV filter is perfectly adequate for the Bosch pump, even if people say the pipe sizes are too small, and since one comes with the car as standard it might as well be used. I suspect the tap may be a major source of restriction, especialy if it has a rust flake stuck in it!

I've been wondering about the fuel tap, I like the idea of the tap especially when cleaning out the filter etc. TRGB did say that the fuel tap may well restrict flow but surely that would do this all the while? I may take the tank out, clean it & put a straight flow pipe to the pump & get rid of the tap?

Yes.Poor things are working their nuts off ;)

Stuart.

Stuart, after a 25 mile run both parts of the pump were hot (not so hot as you couldn't handle it) I would say 'working hot', if the fuel is cooling the pump as it goes through what else can I do to keep the pump from heating up. Restriction because of the fuel tap could be one problem but with respect to Revington, why would they supply a kit that restricts flow?

Pump may well be on its last legs as it has been running on low voltage for so long and any restriction to the flow will shorten their life as well.

Stuart.

Pump may well be on its last legs as it has been running on low voltage for so long and any restriction to the flow will shorten their life as well.

Stuart.

Pump was fitted 12 months ago & probably only covered 500 miles max, does that suggest anything else do you think?

Since the pump was wired in correctly the loud screeching has gone when she konked out on me some 2 months ago in similar hot weather.

Could still be same answer, pump knackered due to insufficient power. New pump relocated outside.

Stuart.