Which is the correct overdrive switch

My car is a 1959 TR3a with the pull switch for the overdrive, I see “Abingdon parts 4 MG Triumph” are advertising the egg shape switch for £18.

My questions are

1. which is correct for my car?
  2. Is the egg shape switch better in use than the pull switch?

thanks

Alexander

Hello Alexander

The egg shape switch was introduced at TS6265 according to the Original TR book, 1959 seems a bit late for the push pull type, as to what is best, all down to personal taste i suppose, I've got the later type and it's easy enough to operate with a flick of the little finger.

Steve

My car is a 1959 TR3a with the pull switch for the overdrive.

Hi Alexander,

I also have a push/pull switch on my '59 TR3A, and as far as I'm aware it's original to the car. As Steve says, it's a matter of personal taste as to what switch you feel most comfortable with. As for me, I've not yet had the opportunity to try the egg shaped switch, but so far I'm more than happy with the push/pull (I guess it's just what you get used to).

However I will admit, when I first bought the car, there were one or two occasions where I drove back into town after a long blast on the open road, and merrily forgot to push the button back in. And as we know, it's generally not a good idea to be pottering around for too long at 15mph with the overdrive engaged! But at least I didn't put it into reverse as well (that, as some members here on the forum will testify, can potentially be very bad :unsure: !!).

Cheers

Deggers

Edited by Deggers

Hi Alexander,

. And as we know, it's generally not a good idea to be pottering around for too long at 15mph with the overdrive engaged! But at least I didn't put it into reverse as well (that, as some members here on the forum will testify, can potentially be bad . . . very very bad :unsure: !!).

Cheers

Deggers

Provided your interlock switches are functioning correctly then the overdrive wont be engaged when selecting reverse.

Stuart.

Provided your interlock switches are functioning correctly then the overdrive wont be engaged when selecting reverse.

Stuart.

That's reassuring to hear Stuart, thanks! I remember reading a few articles in the past regarding O/D and reverse issues, including this post from Pete Fenlon last month:

" . . . was at TR Bits today when a nice TR6 arrived. The problem was the overdrive was coming "ON" when it felt like it. Within an hour the gearbox was on the bench, overdrive off the back - it was destroyed. Of course the broken clutch and bearing were all over the box too. Selecting reverse was considered the problem. Expensive fault."

I'll be sure to give those interlock switches the once over!

Thanks Stuart,

Deggers

Edited by Deggers

Pull switch is not original on a 3A., or on a late 2 or TR3 for that matter..the barrel/egg type flick switch is correct, but there was a long period when these were unavailable so a pull switch was probably substituted then or used on a non o/d car which was upgraded to O/D in the 70s/80s...Bill Piggott

Bill - you got there first.

Alexander - does your commission number have the letter 'O' at the end?

If not, then overdrive was not originally fitted.

Do you have any reason to believe that the push/pull switch is original to

the car?

I think I am right in saying that if overdrive was not fitted, there was no

hole in the dashboard.

The later egg-shaped flick switch has a flat at one side - so does the

stem of the overdrive switch. This locates it in the correct position.

Question - does the early push/pull switch have a plain round hole or

does it have a flat at one side?

If you are fitting overdrive later, and the push/pull switch does NOT have

a flat at one side, then it would be easier to fit.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Thanks everyone for the information.

AlanR ~

No “O” after the commission number so someone in the past has added the overdrive switch at a later date and has used the pull type.

The switch does match the other switches and has overdrive written on it in the same way as the other switches. Plus it has a flat at the bottom.

Does anyone know if the egg type has a flat at the bottom?

Thanks again

Alexander

No Alan , not new, but for some unknown reason the forum deleted my old registration a few weeks ago and the easiest way back was to re-register ! It's happened before as well.....clearly it doesn't like me !

And what the hell are "warning points"? Bill P.

As belt and braces plus it should make the operation simpler, I have installed an overdrive logic control box on my car. Easily fitted and hidden out of the way it drops the overdrive out when you change gear so that you have to re-engage the OD by flicking the switch up and down when you next want it. It means that you can move through the gears /overdrive sequentially with minimum fuss.

Rgds Ian

New egg shape switch arrived today, it has a flat on the bottom which I expected as the hole in the dash has the flat in the same place. When I tested the switch of the car I get continulty in the "up" position so I assume that overdrive off is when the switch is in the down position. Could Ash or someone confirm that I've got this right.

thanks in advance

Alexander

Alexander, your switch might have been assembled in the American way where light switches are up for on. The switch can be dismantled and changed over to down for on. On a RHD car, "overdrive" on the switch housing faced outwards towards the door.

You will find the toggle switch is a big improvement on the earlier TR2 type push/pull switch for knowing if the O/D is on or off in the dark. On winding roads, flicking in and out of O/D via the toggle switch is one of the unique joys of sidescreen TR ownership.

Viv.

Regards,

Viv.

Hi Viv

I think you are correct with the assembled in America idea. The location flat on the swictch is on the bottom which matches the flat in the hole in the dash.

When in place the down position is off and the "overdrive" on the switch is facing inwards on my RHD car. So would be facing the door on a LHD car.

Alexander