Standard-Triumph Service Bulletins

Earlier today, someone asked about the archived service bulletins. I directed him to TeriAnn's website: http://www.expeditio...vice_sheets.htm

This was an opportunity for me to scan the contents, something I had not done for many, many years. TeriAnn's list begins in 1954 and runs through 1959 where there is a break. The list picks up again in 1963, and includes 1963, 64 and 65.

So, why the obvious gap, 1959 - 1962, a period when the sidescreen cars reached their peak? If additional service bulletins were issued, are they available in the Register archives?

Does anyone have an answer?

Frank,

These Bulletins tend to crop up in batches.

Teri-Anne's batch is quite comprehensive but far from complete.

That being said, there seem to have been far less Bulletins issued

over the period you mention.

Along with Celtic Two on this Forum, and with the help of a few others,

we have been compiling a list of Bulletins from various sources.

These have been available to the Register for use in TRAction for

some time, as a filler, but there doesn't seem to have been as much

interest as I would have expected.

Ideally, I (we) would like to see ALL the Bulletins on the Register

website, free to all, even though we have paid out a fair bit for

them over the years.

Frank - would you PM me with your email address, please.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

I have a part set also.

I loaned mine to the TR Reg archive for photocopying about 20 years ago, so I guess they are in the archive somewhere. My originals are stored safely for future use with my 5***** number identification/breakdown book. As you all know a Triumph 6 digit part number starting with a 5 is either a kit as in not drawn or a bought out part (drawn by supplier who held responsibility for quality). The book gives details of what went into 'kits' - not at all exciting unfortunately unless you have access to OE drawings - and they are mostly lost or buried at Gaydon. ie the crown wheel and pinion assy is a 5****** part number and is made from two bits. To make you need the other two drawings, crownwheel only and pinion only.

Cheers

Peter W

I have a part set also.

I loaned mine to the TR Reg archive for photocopying about 20 years ago, so I guess they are in the archive somewhere. My originals are stored safely for future use with my 5***** number identification/breakdown book. Peter W

Pete,

Do you have a list of the Bulletins you have?

Would also appreciate a PM with your email address.

AlanR

• 2 weeks later...

Bit slow to respond to this but although new to the Register it does seem to me that these documents are part of the heritage of the vehicles and may also have some practical use for owners. These considerations seem to fit in with the certain of the objectives and services of the Register so whilst I am sure there will always be individuals like you who will retain copies perhaps the Register should be a custodian of copies of all existing Bulletins if it is not already.

Miles

Hi Miles,

Long ago many of us donated such stuff to the archives, it's why the archives exist, and there's a lot therein.

As the classic car scene expanded, so did the number of collectors of automobilia, and old factory documentation became valuable. There must be vast quantities of factory paperwork, for all marques, lurking in collector's filing cabinets never to see the light of day - let alone accessible to relevant car owners. Many of the characters who collect paper are not marque enthusiasts as such, just paper collectors, and their acquisition budgets tend to put rare paperwork out of the reach of the average enthusiast or the club archivist.

Not much to be done about that, eventually the paper hoarders will kick the bucket and their collections turn up on ebay . . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Not exactly covered . . . . . there's lots of stuff out there that could and should be in the Register Archives.

Now that there is a more efficient team of archivists in place, rather than it being a solo post, hopefully more TR folk will be encouraged to resume the TRaditional practice of donating rare items to the archives, knowing that these records will gradually become more accessible to the general membership.

I hear comments about the good work of the archivist team, but they seem to hide their lights under bushels. More than time that TR Action featured their efforts and explained what exactly has been and is happening.

Cheers,

Alec

I hear comments about the good work of the archivist team, but they seem to hide their lights under bushels. More than time that TR Action featured their efforts and explained what exactly has been and is happening.

I believe someone (probably Ian Cornish) mentioned at the Group Leaders' Meeting that there would be something about the archives in TRaction shortly.