Interior colour change

Hi,

As an introduction this is my first posting and I'm seeking advice.

In my quest to find a good TR6 I have found one which drives extremely well with coil-over Spax all round, has been well restored and includes desirable engine mods. The only thing putting me off this lovely car is the interior colour where although it has leather seats, door cards and rear panel, unfortunatly the colour is not to my taste (i.e. brown). Has anyone had any success dyeing leather, I was thinking of black.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Nick's suggestion is by far the best route.

Unless you have some knowledge/skill of recolouring leather and vinyl, it will always look like a second rate effort.

Sell the brown trim, buy new black trim.

Regards

Peter

Hi Nick and welcome.

You'll find if you read this forum, that the condition of the body/chassis is EVERYTHING on a Tr6, if thats good and as with yours everything else is good, trim changing is easy peasy. The back of the classic car mags have some very good adverts for trim dying stuff as well as people who will do it for you at a price.

Black seats are easy to come by (I think I gave mine away???) and all the trim and carpets are easily obtainable and fitted. Have a serious think about the MX5 seats, they transform the car. I wouldn't be without mine now, I love them! (ebay bargains!)

Let us see some pics of the car

Best of luck

Simon

Edited by simonjrwinter

Thanks for the welcome and advice.

It appears the best approach is to replace the interior including carpets as these are also brown. If I go for vinyl, anyone have a feel for costs ?.

I'll also look out for MX5 seats, presumably they are mostly black cloth.

A new body was used for the resto, the chassis is good as is the panel alignment.

Once I've worked out how, I'll add a photo.

Nick

Nick, I suggest you Google Moss Europe which will give you link to trim prices or you can order a catalogue.

I would also suggest that if the car really is that good then don't be deterred by the possible cost of a re-trim. All TRs are a work in progress anyway and it will undoubtedly empty your bank account over the years ahead as you improve it - mine certainly has! And that's before you start ebaying & buying stuff "just in case" it goes out of production!

Welcome to our (slightly barking) world! :rolleyes:

Hello Rick,

I bought a black vinyl trim kit from the TR Shop in Chiswick for £200-ish and was pleasantly surprised at the good quality. It included everything for the cockpit apart from carpets and seats, (but no H frame cover)

Good luck,

Willie

Hi Nick,

If it's 'chestnut' that you mean by brown trim you might be persuaded to keep the colour if you o the MW5 seat route.

Here are mine after re-covering with a seat kit bought off e-bay.

Mikehttp://mob1132.photobucket.com/albums/m570/derozmike/TR6/2011_1112TR60005.jpg

Thanks J R - Photobucket seemed to have changes their format so wasn't quite sure what I was doing.

Wish these IT bods would stop fiddling with things to confuse us mere mortals!

Mike

David,

her in doors could have something to say about draining the bank account, I've convinced her this is an investment.

Mike,

your brown (i.e. chestnut) appears to be a shade or two darker and looks really good with the yellow.

Willie,

did that kit include door cards ?.

Nick

Quentin, The covers were obtained from a company in the US off e-bay, just search 'MX5 Miata seat covers'. Like everything else they seem to have been shipped from China!

Fitting took approx 3 hours each and they fit like the original cloth covers which do need to be removed first. They offer over 100 different colours including 6 shades each of brown or black so matching up is't too difficult, with a choice of piping, stitching, perforated centre panels all at no extra cost.

I have no connection with this company - just happy with the result.

Mike

Well in the end I have decided not to buy this TR6. Although I was prepared to change the interior, I was uncomfortable that it was painted in a non Triumph colour.

If anyone knows of a well restored example for sale please let me know. I have a healthy budget available for the right car.

Nick

Hello Nick,

Apolgies for misspelling your name first time.

Yes, door cards are included and they look excellent, although I haven't fitted them yet. A bathroom and working loo have priority - some wives can be quite unreasonable! Screws, fasteners, wheel arch foams are also included.

Good luck,

Willie