12v/fag lighter installation

Thanks chaps, repro lid is stiff....it just stays up! The cut down TomTom holder is just double sided foam taped to lid......

The factory 'refurbished' satnav with full euro maps came from Total PDA £75 a good few years ago http://www.totalpda....?filter_id=4279

They come as new/boxed/with full guarantee...(I think they are actually new) highly recommended

john

Edited by johnny250

Here's another place to put a power socket. I made up this armrest/cubby from ply, covered with some old seat trim - does the job a treat. It's big enough to hold phone with charger plugged-in, house keys, wallet etc.

I opted for a heavy duty wire back to the battery (fuse protected)and it's earthed through the trim to the floorpan.2011_1112TR60005.jpg

I mounted mine just below the Glove box close to the 'H' frame way back in 1979 after I got zapped speeding by one of them (then) new fangle Radar Guns held by the Gentleman in Blue! :rolleyes: So I bought a Super Snopper Radar Detector! :D No idea how I wired the socket up :unsure: Just been out into the Garage to have a peek...but the 2 wires disapear up behind the dash where only the pixies and elfs live! :ph34r: My socket has a handy light built into it which was useful for passengers to map read by B)

My H frame actually had two holes about the same size either side of the radio aperture. I could feel them through the vinyl padding. Look as if they were made that way, although I believe not all H frames have them.

Hi Terry,

I think you will find that the two holes you speak of are the holes for the volume and tuning spindles, probably for a Motorola type period radio.

Cheers

Tony

No, there are two holes in the H frame that are unconnected to the radio - they were, as I recall, in line with the interior light switch. I used them on my old TR6. I plumbed a hazard lights switch in one (fitted a treat and the hole was exactly the right size. Wiring that in was very easy as all the connections were already in the loom) and the power socket in the other hole, to balance everything out - had to ream the hole out for that. I figured if someone wanted to return to original they could cover the holes with fabric...

Can't recall exactly how I wired the powwer socket...think it was off one of the instruments above so it urned off with the ignition. I only used it to plug in one of them music thingies that you can stored tunes on and play them through the radio (ooooh, I'm so tech savvy, me!).

Second picture here http://www.motoringi.../R113photo2.htm shows the position of the holes in question (either side of the gear knob) - this is a TR4 off t'internet. I think, maybe be wrong, that some of the H frames are for use in all cars from TR4 ->, hence the extra holes some of the frames may have.

Edited by Mike Goldthorpe

Hi,

I've done the same than Tony - removed the old dash light dimmer and used the hole for 12V power socket. I went to local "clock smith" who made me a special size washer that helped to utilise the whole in dash as the 12V socket base was 2mm too small than the hole in dash. Also modified the old dash light dimmer knob to cover the 12V socket base thus this modification is totally invisible. The original knob has enough "shoulder" to hide custom made washer.

Another location seen used for this purpose is the ash tray - 12V power outlet mounted at the bottom of the ash tray under the little lid.

Sure there are easier ways to do the same...

Br,

tommi

Cheers Mike for clearing that up. My H frame had a large rectangular hole for a radio no no round holes, I remember that the old 'Radiomobile' type radios had a rectangular hole with two round holes either side do it was basically an guess on my part.

Cheers

Tony