TR4 rear springs

Hello,

I have recently fitted new rear uprated springs + dampers to the 4, together with rear link polybushes. I am now getting a lot of groaning and squeaking from the rear suspension, which I can hear even when at rest and using pushing down on the wings. I also replaced the vertical damper links. :(

Advice is to oil the springs (which I used to do occasionally on the 3), but there seem to be 2 schools of thought, as others suggest no lube to keep a damping effect from the friction.

Before I set about the task, what's the view?

Cheers

Mike

I'm from the "no-lube on leaf springs" persuasion ....

Several discussions can be found on the net about this, especially for prewar cars where the exact question is "should I pack grease on the springs before wrapping them mummy-style ?"

In a nutshell, a majority of cons, very few pros.

Badfrog

Edited by Badfrog

There may be a compromise solution.

The gaps between the springs are great at drawing in water by capillary attraction causing some rusting on the leaf surface and causing squeaking. However the gaps are equally good at drawing in old warm engine oil which wets out the rusty bits and and gets rid of the squeak.

It costs next to nothing to do with an old paint brush at each oil change, with the rear wheels off the ground and the chassis on axle stands.

Get rid of the squeak, and then assess the damping, would be my approach.

Regards

Gerry

Hello,

I have recently fitted new rear uprated springs + dampers to the 4, together with rear link polybushes. I am now getting a lot of groaning and squeaking from the rear suspension, which I can hear even when at rest and using pushing down on the wings. I also replaced the vertical damper links. :(

Advice is to oil the springs (which I used to do occasionally on the 3), but there seem to be 2 schools of thought, as others suggest no lube to keep a damping effect from the friction.

Before I set about the task, what's the view?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike

What you doing this far from home? biggrin.gif

Rear springs, like Badfrog, no lube, no problem...................(which I know doesn't help )dry.gif

Trouble is there is far too much going on at the back, springs, shackles, dampers, chassis, bushes etc, perm any 3 from 5

It may work itself out on its own, is it getting better or worse ?

Just checked the repro ST lube chart for TR4 & TR4A I bought at Harrogate (which was still rolled up in the cardboard tube), and there at the bottom it says:

Every 12,000 miles

ROAD SPRINGS. Relieve the weight from the rear springs and apply CASTROL PENETRATING OIL with spray. Alternatively ENGINE OIL may be brushed on. Ensure oil does not contact rubber-bushed shackles.

Maybe the squeaking will go away on its own...... :huh:

Mike

I don't know about the groaning, but the squeaking is probably (at least in part) down to the polybushes. I've had squeaks since the rebuild but after 13,000 miles, I still haven't got around to giving them a dose of PTFE spray. IMHO it's a waste of time eliminating some non-serious noises from a TR as you will just hear the next one.

I agree with Chris, brush on stinky old gearbox oil to the sides and ends of the leaves .... having said that my new ones dont squeak, probably because of the metal quality and the thick paint on them. So maybe works too.

I also find that a squirt of waxoyl on the ends seems to work, without getting horribly messy.

Perhaps though, you ought to look at all the various bushes at the ends and on the links, loose things and anything in contact first. If the eye bushes in particular have been installed with washing up liquid or similar (to make it easy) which has dried out and left the SALT in there, they will moan like a Post Office queue.

Regards Tonyt

Regards

Tony