Hi Neil,

my three month tart up turned into 3 years. Well no point in rushing.

I think you may well be right about the gauge. I'll slacken the pipe off at the bottom end and see if it re-zero's. otherwise off to the fixers.

Hi Pete, keep breathing.

Roger

Edited by RogerH
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, Heavens above it passed the MOT with a very badly painted rear wing.   Had an interesting day today. I needed to spray the  rear wing from the TR4. I did this last week and it wen

Hi Folks, well that was quite prophetic !!!!!!  Lockdown on March 23rd certainly threw a spanner in the works, So after 8 months sleep the Blue Racer has risen and having risdid is now at ho

Hi Roger, I recently had the "opportunity" (not) to do some bodywork on and respray my rear wing. I bought a very cheap (customer return) small garden gazebo on ebay and put it up in my garage. I

Posted Images

Getting the engine going was quite a psychological hurdle but now I've got to get all the lectrics plugged in and the upholstery sorted.

I'm going to concentrate on fitting just enough to get it through the MOT.

Roger

Hi Paul,

the reason for going for an MOT before the last nut/bolt is fitted is to keep the impetus moving forward.

The initial start up has shown the oil gauge is iffy. There may be more things to think about so I shall go slowly through everything in a methodical order.

Each bit fitted will be a mile stone.

I have a box in the hall way with £1200 worth of upholstery in it. It will be a great day when that box is gone.

So, instruments, lights, MOT, uoholstery.

Roger

Roger,

In that case maybe 'shakedown' the car without fitting all the expensive trim and carpets.

Much easier to get the gearbox tunnel off etc. and there's always a list of niggles.

I've just discovered my car has a harmonic at the exact pitch required to undo bolts and spring washers. Now got to fit nylocs all round.

Get it on the road and thrash it for a month.

DO your best with the leaks, squeaks and dribbles.

Then fit the soundproofing, carpets trim etc. and it will sound quiet as a mouse (even if it isn't)

Well done, good job I told you where to pour the smelly stuff, theres sodall wrong with the gauge its just trying to savour the moment after waiting so long.

It will behave eventually.

Guy

I don't understand? What does CBA stand for?

I had to stand out in the rain and very high winds watching the oil gauge rise to 50' this afternoon, riveting!!!!

I would much rather have been out for a drive in it. Hopefully, weather permitting, Roger will film it running tomorrow so you can all see it and maybe hear it. I think I may go out when he gets to the Photobucket bit as I know the air will turn blue...!!!

At least it started up and kept running and the oil pressure was rising to the correct level. I can't wait for it to be finished, I just love the " Blue Racer".

Sue

Thanks Paul

Yeah Roger has mentioned YouTube, you never know he may decide to use that instead. I am best to keep quiet, we will all have to wait and see.

Sue

My next battle is a little odd. The rocker cover on the engine has a large diameter verical pipe (a bit like a funnel) for the breather cap.

Nothing odd you may be thinking, but are you thinking "I wonder what size each are".

If you are then you're on the right track for the next conundrum.

The pipe diameter is about 0.02" bigger than the hole in the breather cap - thus it don't fit.

The pipe is chromed, but weren't they all. I have a feeling that the cover may not be off a TR4, but an earlier model (it has a hole in the middle of the cover with a 1/2"UNF thread). Can anybody cast any information as to what I need to end up with a breather cap on the cover.

Roger

Hi Stuart,

it is the wire filled one with the three dimples in the side/top Moss pt# 113569.

Rob, This cover has some history. When I got the car I got the cover chromed only to find that it was a TR3 cover that was resting in my boot.

I then got the correct one chromed but somehow I'm not so sure it is the original one although it did come with the car.

Comepared to my 4A cover it weighs a ton - really thick metal.

Roger

Sue,

CBA means Can't Be Bothered

Folk seem to upload YouTube videos more easily than pictures so maybe you can stay in and watch after all.

Actually Sue, it really stands for " Can't Be Assed" ...honest... :D

Tony

You havent got the prongs inside the cap bent out and fouling have you?

Stuart.

Its not just the fact that its been heavily chromed is it. That may explain the extra weight as well.

Stuart.