Fixing tenax pegs that are used for the tonneau on the front scuttle.

The tenax pegs that are used for the tonneau on the front scuttle are of the wood screw / self tapping type . My 1959 car does not have wood under the scuttle but does seems to have metal reinforcing that looks like factory original. My question is do the tenax pegs just self tap into the metal or should there be something under the scuttle for them to screw into.

Alexander

. My question is do the tenax pegs just self tap into the metal

Alexander

Alexander,

Supposedly, yes. I was able to put plain self-tapping Lift-The-Dot (not Tenax) pegs in my 1959 post 60000 TR3A, without needing access to the scuttle underside.

Jesús

Thanks Jesús and Viv for the quick response. My 59 car is a pre TS60000 but I think at some time a post TS60000 scuttle must have replaced the original as it is now all metal.

I have just finished building up the windscreen (bottom seal a real ****# !!!) took me ages. Don and Stuart guidance was invaluable, was about to fit the screen to car but realized that I needed to fit the tenax pegs and mirror first, now I know that the pegs self tap I can get one more job completed.

Thanks again

Alexander

Interesting...

If it is a post TS60 000 scuttle top it will have raised platforms/pressings for the bonnet hinges to sit on. Pre TS60 000 were flat.

The boot hinges also will have the raised platforms on post TS60 000 shells.

(That said I once saw a Dove Grey TR3A with raised hinge mounts one end and flat the other, when I work at C&B in Balham in the late 70's)

Any comments please?

Peter W

Ha ! Interesting subject this business of raised hinges. My November 1959 3A 61377 has raised hinges at the rear and flat at the front. But it may have had a smack at some time (before I bought it 38 years ago !) because I can see that the welds between the inner wings and the bulkhead are not as pretty as they might be. However that man of TR parts not a hundred miles from Middlezoy, has told me that it is not the first 'hybrid' that he had seen.

james

Peter

This is interesting as although my car has the post TS600000 scuttle top for the tenax peg fixing it does not have the raised platforms for the bonnet hinges.

I do know the car left the factory painted steel grey with pale blur interior and at one time was based in the London area.

I was told that Steel grey was one of the grey colours that Triumph tried prior to going with dove grey. You never know you may have seen my car back then in the 70’s.

When I bought it there was a back end and front but no sills or floor and at some time the colour had changed to Red.

Alexander

Alexander, what you describe is the great unknown when trying to sort out TR problems. During the 70's when parts where unobtainium, crashed cars were repaired with whatever could be salvaged from wreckers, so occasionally a car turns up that's the proverbial coat of many colours. Problem solving tends to be based on original fitments, but a lot can change over the half century since these cars were new.

Your flat hinge front scuttle with the metal boxing beneath instead of a timber strip is a first (for me anyway). Possible explanations are that someone liked the later arrangement, and thinking it would cut scuttle shake, got busy with a welder. Or there were cars turned out that way just prior to TS60000.

Pale blue trim is another question mark as standard trims were a darker blue, as typically seen in powder blue cars. There were two greys for TR3A's, Pearl then Silverstone, but neither Steel nor Dove greys were introduced.

Your interesting car probably needs Bill P's level of expertise to fathom out.

Regards,

Viv.

I have come across late 59000`ish cars that have the steel instead of wood and the screws for stanchions but no raised plinths so they are about ;)

Stuart.

Hello

My June 59 3A is wood free on the scuttle! Maybe a PO changed it.

Steve

Not necessarily as thats the year of the change. Production for 59 was around TS41630 to TS65123.

Stuart.