The manuals I have giving the Tr3a tappet clearance are conflicting, one is 016" inlet and 010" exhaust, the other says 010" for both inlet and exhaust.

Which is correct please, again thanks in advance.

Alexander

Alexander,

Seems like thee are several opinions. The factory service manual call for .10 inlet and .12 exhaust, (page 22), which is what I have always used. I think some cams call or slightly different numbers and the race guys have tweaked the timing slightly by adjusting valve clearances, but can't account for the variance in manuals.

Tom

Alexander,

Seems like thee are several opinions. The factory service manual call for .10 inlet and .12 exhaust, (page 22), which is what I have always used. I think some cams call or slightly different numbers and the race guys have tweaked the timing slightly by adjusting valve clearances, but can't account for the variance in manuals.

Tom

Just checked my printed and online sources and this is what I find.

Haynes: .010 for inlet and exhaust

TR3 Owners manual: .010 for inlet and Exhaust

Bentley: Early model .010 inlet, .012 exhaust

Late model (alu posts) .010 inlet and exhaust

Clearances checked and set cold.

Alexander, the conflict seems to have been that .010 inlet and .012 exhaust was specified for the TR2, but changed to .010 for both tappets on TR3/3A cars. Stan's (foster461) post touches on this.

I've always set my sidescreen cars at .010 inlet and .012 exhaust and have never burnt out a valve, or had any other problem with the valve drive train.

The engine in the current car is very quiet with no tappet noise at all.

Regards,

Viv.

The manuals I have giving the Tr3a tappet clearance are conflicting, one is 016" inlet and 010" exhaust, the other says 010" for both inlet and exhaust.

Which is correct please, again thanks in advance.

Alexander

This may all depend on what cam shaft you have fitted....Is it standard?

My TR3 with 'sporty' non standard cam runs 0.018" inlet & 0.020" exhaust.

Peter W

According to my works TR2 manual:

Inlet .010" Exhaust .012"

........BUT.......

In the attached TR3 supplement it states: "New rocker pedestal brackets of aluminium alloy were incorporated in normal production at Engine No.TS12564E.The new metal, by reason of it's higher degree of expansion when hot, enables the same rocker clearances to be used for exhaust valves as were previously applied only to the inlets. This reduction in the exhaust valve clearances has the advantage of reducing "tappet" noise when the engine is cold without any sacrifice in performance.Where it is desired to fit the new pedestal brackets,these should be fitted as a complete set,the part numbers being as follows:

Aluminium pedestal bracket(Plain)3 off Part No. 112546

Aluminium pedestal bracket(Drilled) 1 off Part No. 112545"

Hope this is of some help

Thanks everyone, set tappets to 010 and 012 today so should be ready to fire up the engine next weekend. Off to Stoneleigh tomorrow to get the final parts to complete a ten year restoration, hoping to have back on the road by April/May.

Alexander