Temperature Senders

Hi All,

My temperature always reads low. I've sorted out the voltage stabiliser with a solid state unit and now a healthy 10v is constantly being pumped out. The temp gauge is always at the bottom of the 'normal' zone and so I thought maybe I'd try a new sender.

Googling around, there seems to be two types listed here PartFinder yes, please forgive the use of the intermotor site :blink: but it serves a purpose (yes I know they've listed the TR3 engine size, but the listing for the TR4A is the same). Listed are two senders, one for upto 1965, and one for 1965 onwards. I know the 4A was 65 (but so is my 4) but I didn't think there were any changes on the coolant front.

Anyone know what the difference is in the two temperature senders? It'd be much easier to buy the right one first time :)

Thanks all,

Bri.

Hi Brian,

sidescreen cars used a capillary temperature gauge.

TR4 first used 131062, then changed to 134435 which carried over to the 4A, before reverting to 131062 . . . . and no, I don't know the difference either. But if the gauge and transmitter are not matched, the temperature shown is incorrect - and nowadays Moss sell one unit to replace both items. Work that one out, maybe it's not quite right on either gauge ? :P

I jest, Moss offer GTR104 which is 52710 by Intermotor.

I reckon 131062=SNB102=52710 whereas 134435=SNB125=52770, and you'll probably be using the latter. But of course your gauge may have been changed . . . . B)

By the way, what's wrong with Intermotor ? Always a useful site, and I've had less problem with Intermotor than Lucas components over the years.

Cheers,

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle

Hi

Will be watching this with interest as my 4 has the same low reading problem, the only time the gauge went over the halfway point was going to the CLM last year when the bonnet was so hot you could have cooked on it, didn"t boil though, until i fitted anew stabilizer the fuel gauge also read low but thats fine now,, how do you know which sender is fitted are they numbered?

Phil..

There is a similar problem with TR5/6 senders. One is full scale at 100 and the other is full scale at 110. The second type is the correct one. If I remember rightly the only distinguishing difference is a red or green ring around the end where the tag is. The green one is I think the correct one.

Stuart

I had a similar problem with my sender. The gauge would always read slightly high: The engine idled perfectly, fan cut in and out periodically at idle etc etc.

Changed the sender and hey presto, bang in the middle of "Normal"

Checked the resistance of the old and new at the same temp (90degC) and found a substantial difference in readings.

They are cheap to buy, so why not give a replacement a go?

Ade

Slightly different but related problem.

When I bought the car, 1963 TR4, it came with a non functional water temp gauge, so I changed it for a new one P/N BT2240-00C and a sender P/N GTR104.

Since then gauge reads high, at normal between 90º and 140ºC (maybe 125?). I have not measured temp at the radiator top but surely is not above 90º.

Kenlowe fan and Revotec temp controller fitted and voltage stabilizer also changed for a solid state one that gives 10V steady.

Gauge and sender not compatible?

My mistake because I bought them from different suppliers?

Regards

Jose I.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a similar problem with the gauge reading a steady 3/4 but the car not appearing to overheat. The sender was a GTR104 from Moss with a red insulator ring round the tag. Have just replaced it with a 52770 Intermotor item (stated to be equivalent to GTR111) which has a whitish insulator ring. Result is that temp is steady at 185 i.e. halfway.

There appear to be three gauges fitted to TR4/4A, 'Imperial' cars fsd 250deg F, 'Metric' cars fsd 100deg C and later 4As just C and H. This may account for the differences.

For the more observant of you no I haven't got a TR4 but have always used a TR4 gauge (with the face transferred from the 3A gauge) since my capillary unit broke in 1973!

I still think that there is a mistake in the markings of the later/ metric TR4 gauge.

The engine doesn't run at 70C, it runs at 86C. I've verified this with IR-thermos etc etc.

86c is 185F as per "Imperial" gauge.

70C is 158F which eplains why the laters TR4s with the earlier thermistor read high.

Suspect the later thermistor incorporated a "fudge" to correct this (they definately have diffent resistances at 86C)

Somene having a bad day a Smiths/ Jaeger me-thinks...

Yours hypothetically,

Adey

Hi all

Have now fitted a new sender from rimmers and hey presto the gauge reads just over halfway at the edge of the marked box just past 70 ish, the car is fitted with the proper bellows stat so will be watching with interest how high it goes in hotter weather..

Phil..

Hi Bri

Sorry only just noticed your question, when i phoned rimmers they told me they only list the GTR104 anyway so as its not very expensive i thought i would give it a try, as i said the gauge now reads just past the 70 box at the bottom of the gauge, on a drive yesterday it crept a little higher in traffic to be expected..

Cheers Phil..