TR2 : which screen washer bottle

Hello guys,

I haven't find the reply in my books : which washer bottle and pump (mechanical or electrical ?) should equipped my TR2, serial number TS5709 ?

She was (untill yesterday !) equipped with an out of place italian (Fiat 127 ?) blue plastic bag !

A picture should be welcome, thanks !

Chris.

PS : This post is, to comply with Pete specifications, without this da...d yellow round things (tong out of mouth)

Chris

to cheer up Pete the smily has now been deleted along with the origonal post which had erroneous information in it. However the next post is a smily

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

Chris, I don't have a pic, but the early TR2 windscreen washer kits used a manual push button plunger pump, mounted on a bracket beneath the dash.

The bottle was round plastic about 100mm diameter with a Tudor brand label. It sat in a bracket like a cupholder, mounted with two metal screws on the LH inner guard, slightly back from opposite the coil. (vertical configuration)

The cap was a threaded turn for refilling.

TR3A's, at least from 1958 like mine, had the electric Lucas square glass bottle type washer with black cap, same as Mk2 Jags.

I think this was always a dealer fitted accessory.

Regards,

Viv.

PS Holden Vintage and Classic in the UK has the exact Tudor bottle and bracket - just need the pump from somewhere.

Edited by vivdownunder

Chris, this an example of the bottle Viv was talking about.

Unless the picture is of a1959 3A it was, and still is, an original hand operated feature as mentioned in the factory trace.

The bracket has been copied as seen on the pre restoration picture.

Cheers - Raymond

Thanks chaps,

It seems that I should try to find a plastic bottle (+ bracket) and manual pump.

Do you have any picture of the pump itself, I would like to see how and were it fit with the bracket, under the dashboard ?

BTW, some of my others early Triumphs models (Heralds,..) have a round plastic washer bottle, with a small brass connector at the top, unless Spitfires ones who have a plastic round bottle with a clear pipe going directly in.

I think the model with a brrass connector is for the manual pump, hence an anti-return valve in the bottle, can you confirm ?

Another question : my TR2 is a RHD, should the bottle stay on the LH of the engine compartment ?

Chris.

PS : Ray, impressive to see your TR3A's before/after pictures : I am inseanely jealous !

Thanks Ray for the picture and the link : I deserve a kick to haven't found Brian' post myself !

I will have a look immediatly on my dashboard, to see if there is a hole (for the pump) hidden under the black vinyde, and will let you know.

Chris.

Edit : yes, there is a hole at the same place as yours.

I now have to source the parts !

Edited by Chris59

The Stoneleigh show should be the right place, but I will have a look first in my barns : I may well have several of these in stock.....

Chris.

Sorry forgot to add the picture.

Raymond

Raymond, just saw this topic and thank you for posting my photos. That one is the NOS motoring agent one.

I have uncovered a bit of trivia regarding these screen washer accessories (by Tudor). By deduction, mind you. I can't prove it, the Tudor kit that was installed by TR dealers at home and here all seem to have (had) black painted brackets, whilst those purchased at agents later, but in contemporary times, have the bright blue painted bracket. Here in the states both colours are accepted (for concours judging), but I think this is an interesting bit of minutia. An exception, I have noted, is that most MGA's I have seen with original units have had the blue painted bracket. I do not believe that TR's left Canley with screen washers fitted? Does anyone know otherwise? I never have seen an original facia with an extra hole for fitting these. But, a covered over O/D hole is common!

Edited by angelfj

Frank,

This is interesting, as you said: "I do not believe that TR's left Canley with screen washers fitted? Does anyone know otherwise? I never have seen an original facia with an extra hole for fitting these."

Regarding my previous picture (unrestored engine bay) you clearly can see the original bracket delivered on my car when new !

Another "prove" that it might be fitted as an original item can be seen on the attached factory trace and by using the link as well: http://www.triumph-tr3a.nl/restoration/resto6.htm

So, what is your opinion Frank ?

Cheers - Raymond

Hello, see the attached photos, the bottle and the push buttonpost-5266-0-16899600-1297068864_thumb.jpgpost-5266-0-44642800-1297068853_thumb.jpg.... from a french TR3!

Best regards

post-5266-0-44642800-1297068853_thumb.jpg

post-5266-0-16899600-1297068864_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the picture, "le Parisien".

I have found a good "Tudor" manual pump in my sheds (one inlet pipe + one outlet with a T connector)but haven't yet found the chrome nut (visible on G.Guiot picture) or the button, who should be screwed.

The chase continue...

Chris.

"and filled with TR stock ?" Triumph parts, not only TR : I love every model of Triumph (except the Acclaim) as much as the TR range.

"I probably have a chromed nut for you, let me know !" Thanks for the kind offer, Ray, I will let you know if I don't find one in the following weeks.

With literally tons of parts, a small nut may be difficult to find !

Chris.

Find an old advert ot the Tudor windscreen washer, maybe helpful for you to trace down how it should be. In particular the

lid versus hose connection.

...and also provide support when you try to claim in Halfords under Tudor's 'lifetime guarantee':lol:

Thanks Ray, nice period advert !

BTW, where is the nearest Halfords, 'cause I haven't find yet the button....

Chris.

Edited by Chris59

Pete the post was deleted as the information it it was incorrect and I did not want to confuse the matter. And I knew putting in a smily would wind you up !!!!! ;) PS we dont get the Sun in France but I do read the SudOuest.

If I was a bolshy b@stard I would take offence at your implication that I have limited mental capabilities but I am sure you are correct in your assumptions as otherwise I would not spend my spare time playing with old cars :D

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

See what I mean its just nuts. Leading the fight against sun reader posters.

Pete, dear Pete, my friend, it seems that you haven't seen a nurse (dressed in white with nothing under is trouser) since a long time : try to find one, you should get better rapidly.

Ok, I'll get my pills and my coat.

No yellow round thing has been hurt use in this reply -wink-

Chris.

Edited by Chris59

Hi,

I have myself been looking for the push button, no luck so far though.

But what I found had an appealing look instead, was to shorten a scuttle vent knob to an appropriate length and make a thread fitting the pump. I have been thinking about letting it ingrave with the original text.

It is not original, but it looks very good on the dash.

Cheers,

Esben