I learnt about clutches from that

By the fifth time I had removed and refitted the gearbox I had discovered it wasn’t all that bad a job after all. This was especially true after iteration 3, when I found I didn’t really have to fit the dash support, carpets, tunnel cover and seats before I tried the clutch out to find it wasn’t releasing. ( I fitted the new clutch plate and finger thingo at iteration #2, using the old sleeve and bearing as the easy way out.)

I eventually worked out that using the old clutch release bearing and sliding sleeve must be the problem, and that I would have to fit the new ones I got from Moss.

With both out on the bench I found that there was only 0.03cm difference between the two, which wouldn’t explain why the clutch wasn’t disengaging.

Round about then I worked out that this

cl1.jpg

was meant to be this

cl2.jpg

The gearbox and clutch sleeve and bearing came back from the gearbox man all nicely fitted and wired so I knew that it was alright.

(sigh)

Edited by littlejim

Hi LJ,

if the gearbox man doesn't normally do Triumph boxes then he may not be aware that the taper pin needs to be changed at every opportunity.

It was probably in one piece when he re-fitted it. Then broke on the first application.

Rather unfortunate really but a little better than breaking in the middle of a nice long run after completion.

Think positively, you have expanded your knowledge - you are now an expert gearbox 'puter iner' & 'taker outerer' B)B)

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Geez Jim, have you run over the mother of all black cats or what ?. :o

That gearbox has been in and out like a Fiddler's elbow. :huh:

Make sure you get a "heavy duty" clutch fork pin.

It's a coppery anodized looking colour to distiguish it from the standard version.

Cheers,

Viv.

• 3 weeks later...

There is an Athe!!

To get that little pin, for the clutch bearing sleeve, out of the old sleeve, and into the new one, meant I had to remove the tight fitting sleeve out of both the old and new bearings.

Old one first, I put the assembly in the freezer, set the vice up with jaws the right distance apart, and cut a section off the 40mm PVC tube Moss Bros sent one of the bits in. Boiled some water and got a container ready.

Dunked the bearing into the water then hammered the sleeve out with the PVC tube. - It worked(??!)

The new bearing was a bit more recalcitrant, but a second dunk in the boiling water and it came apart too.(yeehah! etc.)

Although there was another solution, involving the expenditure of even more money, my thanks go to Athe and Moss Bros for my present (preferred) situation.