Paint behind the front grille assembly

This is my first post in the TR6 Forum - I've come over to the 'dark side'! :D

On my two previous TR6s the panel behind the front grille was painted satin black and I believe this is correct. My newly purchased TR6 is sprayed red behind the grille assembly, but I intend to spray it satin black.

However, it’s been a while since I owned my other 6s and can’t remember what the pattern is, so does anyone have a photo they could post of the front valance without the grille assembly fitted, and painted black?

Hope that makes sense?

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew go with what you want.......Mine is red too, guess what I have a gloss front valance and back pannel, these are supposed to be satin, but Looks good to me biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif.after all, almost none of ours are as original,they work lol

Andrew,

Pretty sure I have some better images than the one below however it does show what the factory did. Looks like it was just roughly painted on with a brush including the side of the headlamp housing. There won't be many TR6's with this nowadays however to be correct it should be done.

cheers

Derek

grillpaint.jpg

Derek,

I didn't reply to this thread before, as it relates to TR6s and my

knowledge, such as it is, is limited to 4s.

I have restored two original TR4s, both 1962, Spa White, both

were painted black behind the grille.

This does make some sense, as the lines of the car at the front

do change quite a bit if the colour behind the grille is white.

I haven't found any official reference to this, but on TR4s, it seems

that this was only done on white cars, even though I would have

expected other light colours, powder blue for example, to

be similarly black behind the grille.

If the same principle was followed for TR6s, then a red car would

be red behind the grille.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Andrew,

Pretty sure I have some better images than the one below however it does show what the factory did. Looks like it was just roughly painted on with a brush including the side of the headlamp housing. There won't be many TR6's with this nowadays however to be correct it should be done.

cheers

Derek

grillpaint.jpg

Derek, thanks for the info...

Andrew worth checking or double checking with Stuart? I am sure he will give ALL the details i.e. brushed using satin black etc etc ;)

Hi Andrew, welcome back among the young TR drivers :rolleyes: very nice car you found, hope to see it next year in Harrogate.

As far as I know black is original and anyhow nicer than body colour, as it does look less disorderly at the front :) On dark body colours it's different

As I have my car from almost new, I know it was black from factory, but mine was assembled in Belgium :unsure:

Thanks Hogan,

I always try.........in any event, you shouldn't lose any points as it’s original. B)

Thanks Jean,

Yes, it is a very nice 6 and the only way I could think of lowering my perceived age, excluding an 'op' of course! :rolleyes:

I'll be getting the spray can out in the coming weeks - just got to do some gardening and decorating as 'pay-back' for getting another TR! :D

See you at Harrogate.

Cheers

Andrew