Fibreglass bootlid quality..

Hi Chaps,

Considering removing my luggage rack, repairing the holes, with a bit of lead B) and respraying my boot lid.

Idea being to fit the rack to a fibreglass lid. Fibreglass being a good idea due to weight and shipping

costs, plus makes it easier to store when not on the car. Or possibly just use my bootbag ;)

I would then only fit the one with the rack on longer trips when it would be required.

Shipping a couple of seats over here is costing 140 quid :o So what would a heavy

metal boot lid cost. <_<

Does anyone have experience of the Honeybourne one.

http://www.honeybournemouldings.co.uk/triumph.htm

And whats the difference between these :TR6 Bootlid + Internal

TR6 Bootlid Shell with bracing

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Me dont think the rack on a fibreglass boot lid would be a good idea,too much weight and not enough strength.Why not keep rack on what you have,buy a f/glass or another metal one and leave that on the car and change as required,would also save you repairing your own original boot lid.

Edited by TR NIALL

Me dont think the rack on a fibreglass boot lid would be a good idea,too much weight and not enough strength.Why not keep rack on what you have,buy a f/glass or another metal one and leave that on the car and change as required,would also save you repairing your own original boot lid.

Hi Niall,

You are quite correct, thats the way to do it :rolleyes:

Me not thinking straight today, and i havent even opened a bottle of Red yet :blink:

perhaps i should :rolleyes:

Thanks

Guy

• 6 years later...

Just wondering if all TR6 boot lids are so heavy, I can't see that mine has been filled with lead.

We were only discussing just this last night at club night. Yes the 6 boot lid in original form is very heavy never mind if anyone has repaired/leaded it. The large frame inside is the culprit.

Stuart.

My friend who has a stag always take the rip out of the weight of the TR6 tailgate.. He makes groaning sounds as he pretends to exert himself lifting it.. Mind you he kinda had a point as when I preped the car for respray the rear edge of the boot lid turned out to be mainly filler! So now I have a new bootlid.. slightly lighter and a MUCH worse fit (grrrr!)

Tim

Edited by Tim D.