Just want to say hello!

Hello everyone

Finally bought my first TR about 2 months ago after approx 4 months of searching - really pleased.

It is a 1961 TR4, originally USA export but came back 1995 converted to RHD and colour changed from white to Green (with tan interior) It is in great nick already but have just 'got my hands dirty' helping replace front pulley oil seal and general service. Hope this feeling lasts.

Brian

Hi Brian,

welcome to the world of TR's. You will find the forum very helpful if and when you have problems.

On the other hand if you have an answer then chip in.

You will find that even when things are looking a little grim with the car it will still bring a smile back to the face next time you get in it.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Many thanks for your support guys

I have learned a lot already about the car just trying to get the front pulley wheel off to get at the oil seal! I thought it would be simple! I was helping the expert who got quite personal with it. Thoroughly enjoyable though.

Brian

Many thanks for your support guys

I have learned a lot already about the car just trying to get the front pulley wheel off to get at the oil seal! I thought it would be simple! I was helping the expert who got quite personal with it. Thoroughly enjoyable though.

Brian

Hi Brian

Welcome indeed, and a proper solid axle car as well :D , mine's a '62

Dirty hands, you chose the right car, reliable when need be but plenty to do meanwhile

Make sure you join your local group, instant mates (when they find out about the Micro Brewery) :lol: and good company for any TR driver

Look forward to hearing your progress here on the forum

Cheers (so how do we get a sample)

Edited by North London Mike

Hi Brian

Welcome indeed, and a proper solid axle car as well :D , mine's a '62

Dirty hands, you chose the right car, reliable when need be but plenty to do meanwhile

Make sure you join your local group, instant mates (when they find out about the Micro Brewery) :lol: and good company for any TR driver

Look forwared to hearing your progress here on the forum

Cheers (so how do we get a sample)

Hi Mike

I wondered how long it would be before the brewery became involved! It's all about offering and sharing expertise so it is bound to feature at some function or other :)

Edited by brian

Hello Brian, I'm new to TRs too, having bought a '59 TR3A. I replaced the rear shockers, changed the oil, did a few other basic jobs and gave it to my friend Dicer who welds and paints and he put a disc cutter through it and is now making me a new one, so I'm not sure when it'll be back on the road, probably next spring, but I'm looking forward to it and to meeting more owners. I went to Malvern in my Bristol 400, they didn't throw me out, they were really friendly, so I thinks its a good club.

Here's mine:

4586180899_de324ecc46_z.jpg

Sadly someone had pop riveted over rotten body mounts:

4909898337_d668e9749f_z.jpg

We've replaced the floors, inner and outer sills and repaired the B posts:

4910503400_edd79fb657_z.jpg

So lets have some pictures of yours

Ash

Edited by Ashley James

Welcome Brian, and congratulations on chosing a TR4. You'll probably find a few minor differences with a 61 car over some of the later 4s. I have a 62 ex US car converted to rhd. I've had it 15 yaers now and it still makes me grin when I go out for a spin.

Do feel free to ask any questions. One thing I like about this forum is you get a great response be it a simple or complicated question and everyone seems to remember that they had little or no knowledge of TRs at one time, so don't be afraid to ask.

The club will be celebrating 50 years of the TR4 next year so try and get along to the International weekend next July.

Best of luck with the car, I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy it.

Brian

A warm welcome to our world, but please tell me that the knitting and sewing bit isn't true...

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter

Thank you for your welcome. I must admit I am desperately trying to become a balanced individual with my life at present careering uncontrollably down a road of microbrewer, historic car dabbler and season ticket holder at a premiership football club (terrible isn't it :) )and to get in touch my female side - but having little luck - the knitting etc is still embryonic, probably best described as zygotic (is that a real word? )but it is one of my aims in life ( yes you are right I am from the managerial side of life ie full of 'b******t'. :D

Brian

Hello Brian, I'm new to TRs too, having bought a '59 TR3A. I replaced the rear shockers, changed the oil, did a few other basic jobs and gave it to my friend Dicer who welds and paints and he put a disc cutter through it and is now making me a new one, so I'm not sure when it'll be back on the road, probably next spring, but I'm looking forward to it and to meeting more owners. I went to Malvern in my Bristol 400, they didn't throw me out, they were really friendly, so I thinks its a good club.

Here's mine:

4586180899_de324ecc46_z.jpg

Sadly someone had pop riveted over rotten body mounts:

4909898337_d668e9749f_z.jpg

We've replaced the floors, inner and outer sills and repaired the B posts:

4910503400_edd79fb657_z.jpg

So lets have some pictures of yours

Ash

Hi Ash

Thank you for your welcome

I'm afraid my knowledge of these cars is minimal - but growing fast. I couldn't take on anything like the project you have

My TR is pretty sound - bodywork very solid and mechanically very sound. I have bought it as a fun car and learning car. I am using it to learn how to drive properly :) and to tinker with it (with the expert)to hopefully improve it. Who knows - in time - what I might take on

The photo is the only one I have at the moment (the oil drops are not mine!)

Brian

post-9025-089355700 1282413725_thumb.jpg

post-9025-089355700 1282413725_thumb.jpg

Finally bought my first TR about 2 months ago after approx 4 months of searching - really pleased.

It is a 1961 TR4, originally USA export but came back 1995 converted to RHD and colour changed from

white to Green (with tan interior) It is in great nick already but have just 'got my hands dirty'

helping replace front pulley oil seal and general service. Hope this feeling lasts.

You've done very well to get such an early car in good nick.

Who cares that it was originally LHD - virtually all the

1961 TR4s were exported - not much chance of a 1961 UK car.

AlanR

Brian

I wouldn't have taken it on if I'd realised, but it was what they call an early restoration and not done to the standard they are now. I probably could have left it, but I'd rather have it right. I suppose it pays to buy newer because I saw one or two superb TR4s. I do hope you have lots of fun with it and that we may meet up at a TR do one day.

Ash

Brian

I wouldn't have taken it on if I'd realised, but it was what they call an early restoration and not done to the standard they are now. I probably could have left it, but I'd rather have it right. I suppose it pays to buy newer because I saw one or two superb TR4s. I do hope you have lots of fun with it and that we may meet up at a TR do one day.

Ash

Would be good to meet up but I am realising that there are LOADS of events etc to potentially go to - which do you choose?

I have tried to contact my local group but to no avail as yet - maybe holidays or going to events!

Brian

post-9025-037143700 1282594893_thumb.jpg

post-9025-037143700 1282594893_thumb.jpg

I wondered how long it would be before the brewery became involved! It's all about offering and sharing expertise so it is bound to feature at some function or other :)

Hi Brian,

As explained elsewhere, a fair number of forumites is only here for the Bear....

Congrats on buying such a fine example of light shell TR4. Don't block all the holes. A couple of air scoops might help for cool brew transportation.

Badfrog

PS: Loved the typically US pop-pop restoration technique.

Edited by Badfrog

Hi Brian

Great to hear of another TR in Derby, I get involved with both the Trent and Derbyshire Dales groups

Derbyshire Dales meet at Amber Hotel, Oakerthorpe, DE55 7LL on the second Wednesday of the month - contact daveworne@hotmail.com 07970 754030 or just turn up 7pm onwards

Trent meet at Seven Oaks Inn, Stanton by Dale, DE7 4QU on the first Thursday of the month - contact Ian Viles ian.viles@ntlworld.com 0115 9323189 or again turn up 7pm onwards

I unfortunately dont make many weekday meets due to work

Cheers Carl

Hi Brian

Great to hear of another TR in Derby, I get involved with both the Trent and Derbyshire Dales groups

Derbyshire Dales meet at Amber Hotel, Oakerthorpe, DE55 7LL on the second Wednesday of the month - contact daveworne@hotmail.com 07970 754030 or just turn up 7pm onwards

Trent meet at Seven Oaks Inn, Stanton by Dale, DE7 4QU on the first Thursday of the month - contact Ian Viles ian.viles@ntlworld.com 0115 9323189 or again turn up 7pm onwards

I unfortunately dont make many weekday meets due to work

Cheers Carl

Good to hear from you Carl - many thanks for the info

I have been in contact with Dave Worne now

Love the TR5 - very smart Has yours got a chrome boot rack? Am looking for one for mine but can only find stainless and I'm also not sure what size I need anyway (gonna wait til I find a chrome one though!)Being new to all this can be as frustrating as it is exciting

Whereabouts in Derby are you - I'm near the city centre near Markeaton island?

Brian

Hi Brian,

As explained elsewhere, a fair number of forumites is only here for the Bear....

Congrats on buying such a fine example of light shell TR4. Don't block all the holes. A couple of air scoops might help for cool brew transportation.

Badfrog

PS: Loved the typically US pop-pop restoration technique.

Thanks for that Badfrog - but unfortunately you are talking about something of which I have no knowledge! 'light shell?' 'pop up restoration?' Lots to learn....

PS I'm ok with the extra holes for transportation though :)

Brian

Thanks for that Badfrog - but unfortunately you are talking about something of which I have no knowledge! 'light shell?' 'pop up restoration?' Lots to learn....

Hi Brian,

A lightened shell can be obtained in two ways: alloy body (expensive) or rust (cheap) which also manages the holes for air scoop beer cooling.

The US pop-pop rivet technique is beautifully illustrated in one of your pics unless I'm mistaking for another US favorite : drilled anchor holes for plastic filler.

Oh,no, my mistake: it's from Ahsley James'car.

With some luck, you'll also find later on and for a grand finale, the infamous "newspaper/chicken wire body panel combo".

Isn't this fun?

Cheers,

Badfrog, binzer, donit....

Edited by Badfrog

Hi Brian,

A lightened shell can be obtained in two ways: alloy body (expensive) or rust (cheap) which also manages the holes for air scoop beer cooling.

The US pop-pop rivet technique is beautifully illustrated in one of your pics unless I'm mistaking for another US favorite : drilled anchor holes for plastic filler.

With some luck, you'll also find later on and for a grand finale, the infamous "newspaper/chicken wire body panel combo".

Isn't this fun?

Cheers,

Thanks for your help Badfrog - I can see this forum is going to be extremely helpful - and entertaining :huh:

Brian

Hi Brian,

Isn't this fun?

Cheers,

Hi Brian

The bootrack is stainless in the style of the original fitment.

I am at Oakwood so just down the road.

Cheers Carl