Tough to start my triumph after a winter lay up

I have a 4A that has been laid up for the winter....I left a full tank with fuel preservative, and took out the plugs and sprayed some gear oil in and sealed the holes with a moisture absorbing set of plugs. I got it started again but only with a great deal of trouble. it runs VERY rough (chugs and misses) until it reaches operating temperature, then it is fine. This has happened every time for the past week. Could it be the fuel preservative? I still have a relatively full tank of the original petrol, and have cleaned and re-gapped the plugs. Have done nothing with the dizzy or points.

Any thoughts about why the very hard start/rough warm up until operating temp? I did not have the same problem a year earlier.

Many thanks

I have a 4A that has been laid up for the winter....I left a full tank with fuel preservative, and took out the plugs and sprayed some gear oil in and sealed the holes with a moisture absorbing set of plugs. I got it started again but only with a great deal of trouble. it runs VERY rough (chugs and misses) until it reaches operating temperature, then it is fine. This has happened every time for the past week. Could it be the fuel preservative? I still have a relatively full tank of the original petrol, and have cleaned and re-gapped the plugs. Have done nothing with the dizzy or points.

Any thoughts about why the very hard start/rough warm up until operating temp? I did not have the same problem a year earlier.

Many thanks

My money is on the petrol Ron. Sounds like it's not vaporising correctly until it reaches a high temperature.

Tony

Go out and warm it up and then drive it like you stole it until you have used all the **** old fuel and then refill with some Shell V power or similar and run it for a few miles on that. Should run and start fine after that. The so called fuel preservers dont work especially on the poor unleaded around now with more Ethanol in it.

Stuart.

I think new petrol is also the way to go....so new tank tomorrow!

I'm sure you'll enjoy giving the car a bit of stick.

You'll probably enjoy it so much that in future, you won't

need an excuse!

Be sure to report back.

AlanR

My advice will be that once you've sorted it, don't lay the car up over winter.

There's nothing quite like going for a really good blast on one of those cold, crisp winter mornings, no ice, roof down, sunshine, a silly hat! and drive like hell. Your TR will enjoy it and go better/quicker due to the cold air.

Fanbloomingtastic!

David

Edited by david ferry

There's nothing quite like going for a really good blast on one of those cold, crisp winter mornings, no ice, roof down, sunshine, a silly hat! and drive like hell. Your TR will enjoy it and go better/quicker due to the cold air.

Fanbloomingtastic!

David

Totally agree David!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Tow start it then drive it and top up with lots of nice fresh fuel.

Start it once every few weeks n get it up to operating temp - alway have it plugged into a trickle charger.

Well, it was either the old fuel, or the stabilizer I had put in from POR. Either way, a new tank of premium petrol and it now runs fine!

Well, it was either the old fuel, or the stabilizer I had put in from POR. Either way, a new tank of premium petrol and it now runs fine!

I need to get a fresh tank of fuel as mine is now being a bugger to start again! My engine is very tight as a a new build too. Mind no front wings on it so would look odd driving o the pretol station :o:D