H bracket re-covering TR4a

I am in the process of fitting new carpets in my 4a and have removed the H bracket, I have now decided to recover the H bracket as it looks a bit shabby after 45 years.

Does any one have any images of a recovered H bracket please, I would be interested to see where the seams go as I guess the original plastic was vacuum formed onto the substrate, but if I recover in leather there would need to be some joints.

Regards Lee

I am in the process of fitting new carpets in my 4a and have removed the H bracket, I have now decided to recover the H bracket as it looks a bit shabby after 45 years.

Does any one have any images of a recovered H bracket please, I would be interested to see where the seams go as I guess the original plastic was vacuum formed onto the substrate, but if I recover in leather there would need to be some joints.

Regards Lee

If they have any in stock then the TR Shop retrim cover is exactly as original and does look the dogs. ;)

Stuart

Hi Lee

Having made a leather cover for my H bracket and fitted it, I can tell you that it is a very awkward shape and I ended up with multiple seams. Unless you have a decent leather stretching facility, this could be pretty difficult. I found fixing the leather in place was not as simple as it first appears, I had expected to use a spray adhesive, but it was just not sticky enough for the legs. Instead it is better to leave enough spare leather to sew the leather into 'trousers' behind the legs, but you still need the glue to stop the leather rucking up. If you can get the leather cover pre-made by someone then this would be preferable.

(To keep the overall age related authenticity, I made my cover from leather recovered from the seats of an old Wolseley 6/110, which I removed in 1975 and have kept in store since).

Good luck

TT

JUST CHECKED WITH THE TR SHOP THE PLASTIC COVER FOR THE 4A H BRACKET IS £180 INC POSTAGE

THIS COMES WITH THE FOAM BACKING

MAKE YOUR MIND UP TIME!! THE LEATHER WILL ONLY COST MY TIME!

REGARDS LEE

John Skinner do a good leather cover with the seams well made and in what would be the correct place (except the original plastic didn't have seams).

Roger

Thats what I used.... vinyl version good enough for me

john

Thats what I used.... vinyl version good enough for me

john

I think your finished product looks very good, I guess the trick is to use very stretchy vinyl, last night I looked at a friends TR6 who has had his bracket professionally trimmed with the seams in the same place as yours it looked ok but at well over a hundred quid so it should.

I think your finished product looks very good, I guess the trick is to use very stretchy vinyl, last night I looked at a friends TR6 who has had his bracket professionally trimmed with the seams in the same place as yours it looked ok but at well over a hundred quid so it should.

Vinyl that is too stretchy doesnt always help as it can stretch too far in the opposite direction to what you need at the same time and you end up with ruckles all over the place. Its always best to test an off cut first to determine the direction of most stretch.

Stuart.