j type O/D tools

Hi ,

In a bid to track down the fault in my non working overdrive, does anyone know where to get the special tool (L354) to get the filter plugs etc off the bottom of the sump? Or has anyone used something else that does the job.

Furthur to my earlier post ,it's not the solenoid as I've got in off, cleaned, inspected & tested it - it works- & it's made no difference. This is starting to have the smell of 'expense' about it!

Thanks, Mike

On my A-type I used, very carefully, a blinking great stillson wrench.

On a j type its completely different - but thanks

Searched in my old 'never used' tool box and came up with my old c spanner used

to adjust the bottom bracket on bicycles in my youth. Fits exactly and works a treat.

John

Goes to show, you should never bin anything though the wife would disagree - i'll see what i can find. Thanks

I've been thinking about cleaning my high pressure filter. There are a couple of ideas that I'm considering. Cross the shafts of 2 Philips screwdrivers and insert the tips into the holes and twist or clamping 2 dowel rods together spaced appropriately and twist.

Hopefully it's not that tight.

Hi there,

not sure if this tool would be of assistance (adjustable 2pin angle grinder wrench)

http://www.toolbaydirect.co.uk/catalogue/product/Unclassified/0/Sealey-Universal-Pin-Spanner-10-30mm/128295/

easy to find at local good tool shops, ebay etc

hope this helps

Pat

Hi there,

not sure if this tool would be of assistance (adjustable 2pin angle grinder wrench)

http://www.toolbaydirect.co.uk/catalogue/product/Unclassified/0/Sealey-Universal-Pin-Spanner-10-30mm/128295/

easy to find at local good tool shops, ebay etc

hope this helps

Pat

Looks like to could do the job. I've made something up using a large flat washer and 2 machine bolts as prongs - we'll see!

Thanks

I've been thinking about cleaning my high pressure filter. There are a couple of ideas that I'm considering. Cross the shafts of 2 Philips screwdrivers and insert the tips into the holes and twist or clamping 2 dowel rods together spaced appropriately and twist.

Hopefully it's not that tight.

Yep, that could work but you might find that your exhaust system inconviently gets in the way - unless you've already removed the trans from the car!

Mike

<_< That's why there's been more "thinking about" than action up to now, Mike.

I do have a section of the exhaust I can remove though...one of these days.

Edited by poolboy

<_< That's why there's been more "thinking about" than action up to now, Mike.

I do have a section of the exhaust I can remove though...one of these days.

You're lucky, some twit in my cars previous life has welded all the sections together! Still, i've promised the car a nice shiny new SS system if it makes the O/D work again - think I"m wasting my time on that one.

Mike

Hi ,

In a bid to track down the fault in my non working overdrive, does anyone know where to get the special tool (L354) to get the filter plugs etc off the bottom of the sump? Or has anyone used something else that does the job.

Furthur to my earlier post ,it's not the solenoid as I've got in off, cleaned, inspected & tested it - it works- & it's made no difference. This is starting to have the smell of 'expense' about it!

Thanks, Mike

On the buckeye web site, J-type OD section, Nelson shows a tool that he made to fit into a 3/4 socket wrench.

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/jod/JOD2/JOD2.htm

On another web site (Stag forum) one poster provides some dimensions:

The centres for the pins is 16mm.

http://stagownersclub.mywowbb.com/forum1/9210.html

Stan

• 10 years later...
On 7/1/2010 at 2:35 PM, cmdr19 said:

Hi ,

Thanks, Mike

On 7/4/2010 at 6:42 PM, cmdr19 said:

You're lucky, some twit in my cars previous life has welded all the sections together! Still, i've promised the car a nice shiny new SS system if it makes the O/D work again - think I"m wasting my time on that one.

Mike

Take your O/D unit to ORS! they are not far from you and they are the DBs for gearboxes and O/D units They also sell the special tools and parts. If you take your unit to them it will save you an awful lot of aggro?

Bruce.

What is the problem exactly? I have had a problem with an overdrive unit here on a j type box. I usually send them Away to be done but due to covid and new export rules it wasn’t going to happen so I had a seal kit and with a bit of advice from my regular rebuilder I set about stripping it down. I didn’t use any special tools and it was surprisingly easy. THe problem I had was it was slipping in all gears and in overdrive. I thought the friction plate has disintergrated but no. It was all of the internal seals at the end of their life so I changed them all new gaskets on the body and hey presto a working overdrive! Well chuffed! ANd also saved a fortune 

To add to my last the filter was full of ally flakes so washed in paraffin and replaced f it’s blocked you don’t get enough pressure to act against the springs o it won’t engage overdrive and it will slip.he solenoid is only a diverter valve.