I regret that lately this forum is starting to look like LJ's personal diary, but I promise to shutup soon.

However after balancing the carbs and getting the mixture roughly OK, a had enough time to tighten up the O/D switch so it doesn't spin round when I push it. It then occurred to me that I didn't know if UP was on or DOWN was on. The test probe told me DOWN was ON*; I'm glad I put the relay on the firewall for easy access.

AS I have now faced the fact that I am in my dotage, and that at some stage if I am faced with remembering the way home, my brain(??) will latch on to that and forget whether UP is On or OFF. This suggests I should fit yet another warning light to tell me I am in O/D. I'm sure I can fit yet another 12V LED somewhere. I've read the posts about leaving O/D on while in reverse not being a smart move.

Did the factory fitted O/Ds have a warning light somewhere? (Despite all those rides in TR4s at Butterworth I can't remember ('61-'63).

* will accept comment on whether to have UP as ON or the reverse. But it looks neater with up as OFF.

We have the hot tap on the left like the UK, but USA seems to like it on the right, and from memory the US light switches work the other way, so I'm going to go with personal preference rather than Hoyle.

No question - down is On (or In?).

That's the way it should be and it feels far better engaging

by pushing down.

I doubt you'll forget when you're in overdrive. I assume you

have the earth correctly fitted, through the gearbox isolator

switches) so you can't accidentally leave overdrive engaged

and select reverse gear.

AlanR

Just double-check that the reverse cut-out switch works. With the engine off and overdrive engaged, put the gearbox into reverse. You should hear the solenoid click, disengaging the overdrive. Still, an od indicator light can't hurt.

I have an overdrive logic box fitted along with a momentary switch to activate. I also have an "overdrive engaged" light where the useless old rheostat switch was.

Hi Mal, I'm at a stage in my rebuild where I could fit

an overdrive logic box, is it worth doing?

I've seen them come up on eBay from time to time,

and go for not much. Does that answer your question?

Can't say I'm a fan of them, but there are those who are.

AlanR

I think Alan R has it right - you are a fan or not.

Before my rebuild I did have an occasion to reverse and had accidentally left it on and it had stayed engaged........Boy did I check carefully after that!!

During the rebuild, I decided to go the logic box route and am very happy with it. So I am a fan, obviously. I also have a momentary switch fitted on the dash, which I can reach with a finger, whilst hands still on the wheel. If you want a photo of the location pm me your email and I will forward. The logic box will disengage the od when you change gear.

Ade, the box I have fitted also has an adjustable level for the light. This means I can decrease the light level to 20 miles, if I wish. However, as you mention it's not exactly overbright anyway. Not sure if I would find it distracting if it was always in line of direct site though.

Yours

an LB fan

Edited by 4Mal

I am a fan of the Overdrive Logic Box - it is the way overdrive operation ought to be (see my article in TR Action 203, May 2005).

No longer will you drive away from rest, change into 2nd and find, as the car's acceleration is not what you had expected, that you had forgotten to disengage overdrive before coming to rest!

Not only that, but with a decent switch, in/out operation is so easy at the merest flick of the switch.

Ian Cornish