steering column clamp

I notice in bill Piggotts book the collectors originality guide to Triumph, he mentions a steering column clamp that was added to cars post TS5777 with the long column to control what was described as column Float. Certainly its obvious that there is movement in the long steering column on my car . This clamp was supposed to attach to the lower end of the column and to one of the suspension tower cross tube bolts. Looking in the Moss catalogue I can't see the clamp, Bill refers to. Can anyone provide the part number or better still a photo of the clamp mentioned. I know on a previous post there was a photo shown of a clamp the fixs up on the bulkhead on later split column cars, this I understand is quite different.Cheers

Jim - These show the clamp on my early 1958 TR3A with the one-piece column. There are three places where it is stabilised. One is the spiral felt "bushing" clamped between the inner and outer tube at the top end end the control head. Another is just under the dashboard behing the speedo and the tachometer. The one at the bottom clamp secures the column to the frame about 3" above junction of the the casting for the steeing box and the outer column tube.

I believe that the part numbers you require are:- 111602 Steady bracket upper RH strg, 111601 Steady Bracket upper LH Strg & 111600 Bracket steady lower for LH or RH steering. You will need 5/16" UNF bolts x 3/4" long x2 & 5/16" UNF bolt x 5/8" long plus standard nuts and spring washers to fit them. If you can't find them elsewhere I may be able to help.

Thanks Guys

From Dons photos it looks a simple bracket to fabricate so I will look to make one up. I tried the part numbers in Moss UK and moss.com but nothing showed up. Thanks for the help we are slowly making progress. Cheers

Edited by kiwi-jim

Thanks Don, I had thought that the bracket would be reasonably solid Bob if you can get access to one I would be interested in hearing back from you with a price, otherwise I will look to try and make something up to do the job. cheers guys

Jim,

I would contact Simon Westlake to see what he has lurking in his spares stash. I would be surprised if he can't supply the parts you need.

I suppose the expensive part may well be the shipping. He's in Cheltenham, UK!

If you don't have his contact details, let me know and I'll send them to you. Alternatively, I can contact him on your behalf if you'd prefer.

Good luck.

Regards

David

Can someone help please, I have a 1959 tr3a with split column and no bottom bracket, is this correct or do I also need to fit said bracket. On my car there does not seem to be any mounting point for a bracket. Hoping someone like Don can advise.

thanks in advance

Alexander

ps.

I've tried to attach photo but may have got this completly wrong

post-1140-1273825589_thumb.jpg

post-1140-1273825589_thumb.jpg

Can someone help please, I have a 1959 tr3a with split column and no bottom bracket, is this correct or do I also need to fit said bracket. On my car there does not seem to be any mounting point for a bracket. Hoping someone like Don can advise.

thanks in advance

Alexander

ps.

I've tried to attach photo but may have got this completly wrong

For a split column there should definitely be a bracket fitted.

Stuart

Thanks for the quick reply Stuart, do you know if the bracket can be fitted with the body on as my rebuild has moved on quite a bit since the photo I added to my earlier mail. Also do you know who may have one

Thanks again

Alexander

Thanks for the quick reply Stuart, do you know if the bracket can be fitted with the body on as my rebuild has moved on quite a bit since the photo I added to my earlier mail. Also do you know who may have one

Thanks again

Alexander

It can be fitted afterwards. You could try Ken Munford 02089981626.

Stuart.

There are two clamps to support the split column. One is doen nerar the steering box and the other mounts onto the skuttle (firewall) down below the hole where the upper part of the split column goes through the firewall.

The photo showing th lower one comes from Menno, if I rememebr correctly. On the late TR3A I restored in 2006, I had to built it onto a better (non-rusted) chassis and it was from an older TR. Do I had to fabricate the clamp you see and I welded it onto the from tower.

For the upper clamp, I had the piece but had to make it fit below the upper hole in the skuttle. See photo from Raymond of his late powder blue TR3A.

There are two clamps to support the split column. One is doen nerar the steering box and the other mounts onto the skuttle (firewall) down below the hole where the upper part of the split column goes through the firewall.

The photo showing th lower one comes from Menno, if I rememebr correctly. On the late TR3A I restored in 2006, I had to built it onto a better (non-rusted) chassis and it was from an older TR. Do I had to fabricate the clamp you see and I welded it onto the from tower.

For the upper clamp, I had the piece but had to make it fit below the upper hole in the skuttle. See photo from Raymond of his late powder blue TR3A.