I've recently fitted a new set of 11 discs from Moss, but have been experiencing some brake chaffing sounds of pads rubbing on the discs and from the NSF in particular. Also, the NS outer brake pad (Green Stuff) is moving from side to side in the caliper even with anti-rattle springs fitted; this maybe a result of a combination of the run-out and wear on the caliper body - any thoughts?

Baldrick just came up and measured the disc run-out - the 'pink bible' says the max run-out should be no more than .004" but NS measures .008" and the OS is .006" - is this common with new discs?

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

I assume you cleaned up the hub face before fitting and removed any burrs etc, have you checked the wheel bearings and have you sorted out your sticking calipers?

Stuart.

Stuart,

You assume correctly on three counts - I've yet to sort out the calipers though, but I'm not sure the pistons are sticking given run-out measurements? Although I did buy an overhaul kit yesterday.

Cheers

Andrew

.......have you sorted out your sticking calipers?
........I've yet to sort out the calipers though, but I'm not sure the pistons are sticking given run-out measurements?

Well, that sowed the seed of doubt Stuart even given the run-off measurements. So I've taken the day off and removed the calipers and, bearing in mind I attacked the bores with wet & dry in 2005 and fitted s/s pistons, the pistons were showing significant rust (so much for the properties of s/s!) and therefore sticking. Rather than waste more time, effort and money refurbishing them myself I've sent them off via Moss to have a professional job done - but TuRK will be off the road for about two weeks, and I'm guessing that's when we'll have our two weeks of 'summer'! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Hi Andrew,

stainless steel pistons do not rust :mellow:

However in the presence of rusty steel they will stain significantly :blink: .

How were the bores of the calipers.

Do you use silicon brake fluid?

Although not hydroscopic it will hold water and the water will find its way to the lowest point - brake caliper.

Roger

Hi Roger,

It was rust, and although the invoice says s/s I now suspect they were picked from the wrong bin at point of sale? :unsure: The bores are heavily badly pitted in places and I think they may need to be sleeved. Yes, I use Automec silicon fluid and you are right silicon does hold moisture, so it doesn’t help the situation.

Cheers

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
...........but TuRK will be off the road for about two weeks, and I'm guessing that's when we'll have our two weeks of 'summer'! :rolleyes: Cheers Andrew

What did I say! - It's been between 24 - 27 degs c this weekend and the forecast is for 29 degs tomorrow and more of the same next week!

Bev's in the garden sunning herself and TuRKs in the garage on axle stands waiting for the calipers. That said , I have been busy fiddling with the little jobs on the car that usually get left for a rainy day! :(

Enjoy the great British summer this week and next, because no sooner as I get the calipers back and fitted that'll be the end of our summer! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Andrew you should have sent your caliphers to the firm in Chelford, they do a very good job for about £45 a side, and come back like new I have used them for years with Jags and 3 TR resto's and never been dissapointed,

Where do Moss have them done? and If I can make a suggestion dont look at facebook to see where your offsprings are, its too eye opening!

In my motor factoring days I sent an awful lot of calipers (as in hundreds), of all descriptions, to Brake Engineering. Damn good blokes, did a proper job for sensible money, and nary a problem. My old colleagues at the factors tell me they're still just as reliable, and BE haven't let me down in more than 20 years.

Cheers,

Alec